Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggest a name for a new magazine!
or RAGAM (=Roman And Greek Army Magazine)
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
As the magazine also represents non Roman subjects there was one god whose name was unchanged in both Greek and Roman mythologies

APOLLO

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Jaspers Roman Military Studies Magazine!
JRMS Magazine. :lol:

Or how about Jaspers Roman Military Enthusiasts Magazine?

Oh ... hang on ... :?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Apollo is a title used by another journal,
International Art Magazine I think,
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Might have been suggested, but RATMAG? Roman Army Talk Magazine? Or just RATM?
"There are some who call me... Tim..."

Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

"The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek!"
Gents, I think we should AVOID any title in Latin. it's not representative of the magazine's scope of topics, and while it may sound "cool" to some of us, someone else who's interest is ancient military but not Roman, may think it's stupid. They may have no idea what it is at all.

Acronyms are great, but lack the "hook" and appeal of an actual one or two word title. Not to mention that at a glance, and acronym tells us nothing about what the magazine is about. If it were "MARS", for example, I'd be thinking a magazine about space exploration, cover art not withstanding. But it should be noted that the title is the very first thing a person looks at on a magazine cover (at least in the west).

If you want to use something in latin, it should have a strong resemblence to it's modern counterpart. For example, Bellicus is a great idea since it basically means "military", but it's too far from a modern usage to be easily recognizable.

Remember, we're not just looking for Roman Reenactor/history buff's ideas of what sounds cool to us. The demograph for this magazine goes beyond any and all of us, and the title should reflect that. It should also be catchy, and easily recognizable as something to do with ancient militaries.

On that note, my suggestion is Boobies.

On a serious note, something like "Ancient Warfare" is a great title because it represents more than one area of interest, it can cover archaeology, reenactment, monuments, battles, and from any region/period within our mandate.

Legion: TBD
Well put Matt. Currently I favor Phalanx, since:
a) it is a generally known term
b) represents the mod of Classical Greek warfare and by development the Hellenistic one
c) it represents early Roman warfare
d) in a way the manipular legion is a reaction/development of the phalanx
e) there are strong indications that some sort of first line phalanx made its way back into the legion from the 2nd C AD onwards
f) Late Roman formations seem a further development of this.

However, I'm still open to arguments and suggestions for other titles!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
'Phalanx' doesn't pack any punch for me. That's only my initial reaction, but that's often what counts. 'Ancient Warfare' or 'Ancient Miltary" or 'Ancient Soldier' or 'Ancient Armies', etc, says it all, and doesn't leave any question marks in the potential reader's mind.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I agree, phalanx would work since it's also a US anti-air/missile system being used on US Navy and some allied naval ships (canada comes to mind), officially called CIWS - Close In Weapon System

The word phalanx is still used today in a lot of military circles, as well as various histories, in reference to a general idea of a spear wall, regardless of era or culture.

Good idea, whoever brought that one up.

Here Tarbi, see if this gives you some umph...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmwQagrjtfw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuafaALL4l4

Big Grin

Well, perhaps we'd just need to make a shortlist and vote on it. Big Grin

And then the publisher and me decide on whatever we like best. :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Well, perhaps we'd just need to make a shortlist and vote on it. Big Grin

And then the publisher and me decide on whatever we like best. :wink:

Ave Jasper,

I see! And then you'll throw in a brand new name by yourselves just also to win the free subscription of this superb outstanding magazine :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just can't await Issue one!
Greetings from germania incognita

Heiko (Cornelius Quintus)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
Of course!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Some how I feel that I had wasted my time.

those point should had been stated before, so in other words, you didnt had to get crazy guessing what latin tittle would fit.

But I guess the firsts mewmbers who posted latin, guide themselves because the autor, did favor latin name for his pet.

But forgeting that, yes I would like to reed the first issue.

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Sorry Comerus. But suggestions that get shot down during a brainstorm always help improve the outcome! So I'd like to thank all of you!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Egypt tombs suggest pyramids not built by slaves Narukami 55 9,382 02-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Rumo