Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lanyards on Gladii?
I think this is an issue just begging for some experimental recontruction.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:As Cesar says, it doesn't have to be used compulsorily, but the ranks not at the front could certainly do it.

For sure. That makes the most sense to me as well.

Legion: TBD
You know, the only depictions we have of these lanyards in use are Glaidatorial right? Well, if these gladius components are dated to the early republic, that could make a lot of sense since gladiatores were used on more than one occasion to help train legionaries. This could easily be part of something adopted due to this form of training. It may or may not have anything significant to do with combat in ranks, it could have been the troops emulating the gladiatores.

Quote:You know, the only depictions we have of these lanyards in use are Glaidatorial right? Well, if these gladius components are dated to the early republic, that could make a lot of sense since gladiatores were used on more than one occasion to help train legionaries. This could easily be part of something adopted due to this form of training. It may or may not have anything significant to do with combat in ranks, it could have been the troops emulating the gladiatores.
Jon Coulston wrote a paper on the very subject of legionaries being influenced by gladiators. The apron was originally worn on the backside by gladiators, IIRC, as an example.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I wonder if there are any written passages indicating how high in regard legionaries held gladiatores...I know if I was trained by a special unit that I respected I would want to emulate them as well.

I recall the gladiators used in the 69 civil war came of rather badly when they came up against the legionairies, but would need to re-read it
to see if there was any extranuous factors which reduced their ability, such as being caught in the water landing off of boats.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I meant more in terms of training, not combat...it stands to reason they wouldn't do well.

The only written references I know of refer to the use of gladiators by certain generals to train their troops,
who obviously were impressed with their abilities before they would do that.
Perhaps they will find a tablet at Vindolanda praising their abilities from a lesser ranking person one day.
Would go nicely with the Gladitorial decorated glassware found there. But that is wishiful thinking!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
There is still much modern debate about the utility of lanyards with modern riot batons.

On one crash course I attended we were told not to use them, due to a risk of the baton getting trapped/snatched and thus also its owner. Contra the instruction we were given:

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/S ... riot.shtml

...and the fact our batons came supplied with lanyards!
Interesting that experienced instructors gave conflicting direction.

It has been suggested that modern ornamental sword lanyards have developed from earlier lanyards used primarily for cavalry...
Tim Edwards
Leg II Avg (UK)
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiiavg.org.uk">http://www.legiiavg.org.uk
<a class="postlink" href="http://virtuallegionary.blogspot.com">http://virtuallegionary.blogspot.com
Quote:You know, the only depictions we have of these lanyards in use are Glaidatorial right? Well, if these gladius components are dated to the early republic, that could make a lot of sense since gladiatores were used on more than one occasion to help train legionaries.

Well half way down p. 4 Barry posted a picture of a frieze clearly showing the lanyard on a sword that's not gladiatorial, and the components were late Republic to early Imperial- the Pompeii 'soldier's weapon had one of the Magdalensburg-type pommel nuts with 4 rings, so at least the possible hardware that allowed a lanyard existed until at least 79CE.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
True...but there is a myriad # of possibilities as to why it has a lanyard. An old trend, maybe something left out of the historical record where certain legions were still trained by gladiators etc.

Good point, Matt, and worth a reminder...

[Image: scan0005.jpg]

A representaton of scale armour in the 1st C. BC, too.

I wonder if lanyards were for those soldiers who could also find themselves on horseback? Just a thought.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Your spatha isn't something you'd want to drop at a full gallop...

Definitely not- even less-so with a pile of Gauls in your face since you can't just wheel the horse around and gallop away LOL
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:Your spatha isn't something you'd want to drop at a full gallop...

Agreed....just seems odd that these fittings seem to appear on Mainz type swords, not spathae?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF