Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on late roman subarmalis?
Salvete Omnes!

Is it just artistic license / matter of changing art style that many late roman pteryges (especially the sleeves) look different than in earlier depictions? To me it looks like the pteryges might have been more closely attached to the longer sleeves of the subarmalis and not hanging loosely as in earlier versions. This is especially noticeable in later byzantine art (of which I have no good pics right now). Here are some pics attached, sorry for the very poor quality:

[Image: subi.png]
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Hi Jyrki,

Well, that's indeed the question: are we looking at a changed artistic style or indeed a changed way in how the pteryges are worn? I'm not sure. Both are possible. When I look at the upper pteryges I'd say that, indeed, they seeem to be sewn together, but when I look at the lower one that would be unlogical. :-(
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks Robert!

I might try the sewn-together option, just to see how it works...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
I wonder if they are quilted, or possibly pleated in part?
There seems to be a lot going on.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Some of the illustrations look like pleating to me.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:Some of the illustrations look like pleating to me.

That's an interesting observation, it never occurred to me!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Hmmmmm
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
This is something I am toying with for a prototype subarmour... the pleating to me, in some of those images looks like the best option for achieveing the 'fall' of the garment when worn in conjunction with the armour..

It would mean a HUGE amount of linen needs to be used for the overall look and thus a garment which might be frightfully expensive to make Sad
Claire Marshall

General Layabout

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.plateau-imprints.co.uk">www.plateau-imprints.co.uk
There was a thread on here that shows how it can be done.
I think the guy was in Canada that did it! It looked just like the images.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:There was a thread on here that shows how it can be done.
I think the guy was in Canada that did it! It looked just like the images.
Yes, but where? I could not locate it. :???:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
God knows....I just remember the guy made a great presentation on here about it last year.
Good pictures, every thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
In the new Osprey book about centurions, we can see a tombstone, showing a subarmalis of a cavalry centurion. It's short sleeved, and cross quilted, like many in the middle ages.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Someone find that thread! :-) Interested in the idea of a different style submaralis from the later period...
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Several of the later period depictions appear to be pleated. Specifically when looking at the Byzantine empire. The Barberini Ivory is a good example:

[Image: 4915777487_98bf4762a3_z.jpg]
"This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle."
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Errrm......Love the footwear!

[attachment=3492]PICT7895-low.jpg[/attachment]

And the rifles would be very late!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

"What? this old Loculus? had it years dear."
"Vescere bracis meis" (eat my shorts)