Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Century Roman Leather Pouch Link
While browsing online I found an interesting article on the Historic Life website. Look fairly well researched, but you tell me. Heres the link.

www.historiclife.com/pdf/1stCenturyRomanPouch.pdf
Derek D. Estabrook
I think this bag has a thread on here, reproduced by Martin Moser, but I could be wrong. It's a nice pouch, any way you look at it. I think I just might make one to replace my older pouch, which is made to look more or less like a two loops to the belt loculus.

How do we post pictures on this forum these days?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
That is right - http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... compascuum
I made one following Martin's instructions. The author lists Martin in his bibliography. The author mentioned that the pouch contained about 300 denarii when found, but since the earliest was one of Commodus, I would not be so sure about its first century date :wink:
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Very cool pouch.. looks like I might another project to be working on..
Quote:but since the earliest was one of Commodus, I would not be so sure about its first century date
Agreed in part, but what was the latest coin found...that would be the one to date the bag from, wouldn't it? Just asking.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I do not have the info - Martin Moser might though.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
I just finished a pouch made from the drawing of the one found, fron Mr. Moser's post. I did my drawstring from braided hemp though. great post, was glad to see they gave credit!!
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Twas a woman that drove me to drink, and I never thanked her. W.C. Fields
Very nice pouch indeed! And a great little article about it. But still no evidence that any pouch was ever worn on the military belt, eh?

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Is there any mode described anywhere that tells where a miles carried his coin? I'm genuinely curious.

Could pouches be made of heavy woven cloth, besides leather, you think?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I have enough thin deer scrap to probably make 1 or 2 more if anyone wants it. I can send ya the scrap or make one for whom ever.

Heres another bad pic..I really need a new camera...sorry!

[Image: IMG_0070.jpg]
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Quote:Is there any mode described anywhere that tells where a miles carried his coin? I'm genuinely curious.

Several bronze arm purses have been found, which can be worn on the upper arm under the tunic sleeve. There is a mention somewhere of a "money belt", which at a guess could be just 2 layers of leather with coins hidden between them. Or you can put your money (and car keys!) in a leather or cloth pouch and either carry it in your satchel, or just drop it inside your tunic--that's what I do! Plenty of space.

But there are NO depictions or suggestions of ANYthing hung from a belt around the first century.

You might guess that this is one of my pet peeves, along with bracers or wrist guards!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
When not in armour I always put a lot of stuff (money, small knife etc.) in my fascia ventralis (waistsash).

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Hi all,

as for dating, the pouch is thought to be 2nd/3rd century, but drawstring pouches certainly weren't a new invention then.

Quote:Very nice pouch indeed! And a great little article about it. But still no evidence that any pouch was ever worn on the military belt, eh?

Yes, certainly no evidence for that. Putting it inside your tunic rather than hanging it certainly seems a good, if not better, choice.

Quote: You might guess that this is one of my pet peeves, along with bracers or wrist guards!

I agree, although for that style of pouch we can be quite sure it did exist in the first century (while there is no proof for those rectangular, belt-loop pouches which always remind me more of ammo containers than someting roman). I would be quite surprised though if none of the drawstring pouches ever hang from a belt in the 1st cent. AD, be it civilian or military one. Still no evidence, however.
Ah, and on a sidenote, when researching shoes from Egypt last week I found that the very same way of braiding the leather string ends was used with some of the sandals from there:

Bargercompascuum (reconstructed)
[Image: BargercompascuumRecon_04.jpg]

from shoes from Egypt (Heinrich Frauberger. Antike und frühmittelalterliche Fussbekleidungen aus Achmim-Panopolis. Düsseldorf: 1896)
[Image: FraubergerAchmim_braidingDetail01.jpg]
Can you show a picture of your fascia ventralis? That is a new term to me, I do have a sash for my 18th century stuff...I am curious if they are similar....
Wes
Titvs Calidivs Agricola
Wes Olson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leather working tools 1st/2nd century AD scotti73 6 2,717 10-19-2013, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Robert
  Pouch from Israel Martin Moser 45 9,316 11-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser
  The Pouch version pivus 23 4,679 01-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Robert