Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman civilian tents
Salve,

I was wondering if there is something known (depictions, description) of Roman tents that could have been used in the 1st century AD by civilians like merchants?

I believe some kind of wooden stalls were also common but I would guess some kind of fabric tent must have been used to...

Any info, both on fabric civilian tents for tradesmen and info on wooden stalls would be very much appreciated!

Kind regards,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
A fresco from Pompeii showing the arena riots there depicts awnings hung between upright poles that were probably used by street vendors. As to actual tents, I can#t say for the first century, but a third century mosaic from North Africa (I think - the book's identification of illustrations is lousy beyond describing) shows a pretty typical wall tent in use. This is clearly not a mnilitary scene, so presumably civilians used that kind of tent, too, when they had occasion to)
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Thanks Volker! Can you tell me were I can find a picture of the pompei fresco?

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Check this out:

http://www.fpa.ysu.edu/~slsmith/ecbyzwe ... _brawl.jpg

The tents Volker was referring to are to be seen in the foreground. Remarkable is also that this fresco contains a depiction of the awnings which were put up so that the audience could sit in the shade (in Latin this was announced as "vela erunt")
Thanks for the link! Big Grin
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slightly off topic, Roman Civilian, religious question Emerodius 3 1,382 10-26-2010, 09:41 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Who\'s Who in Roman Civilian Studies richsc 0 1,087 01-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Last Post: richsc