Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I\'m never attempting tinning again...
The wet cloth wiping makes sense to me. Back when I was in electronics schooling, we used to "tin" our soldering irons, by coating them with solder then wiping it on a wet sponge. I remember taking note of how smooth and shiny they were from it.

As for the tin itself, I was perusing through one of my many flyers that I received today and noticed something of interest. While browsing through the reloading section, I stumbled across a sale on bullet casting alloy. I didn't expect too, but I noticed that they actually sell pure tin. Currently 29.99 for a 2lb ingot. I was surprised to see it without being premixed into lead.

Not sure how that price compares with what else is out there, but if anyone's interested, here's a link:

[url:1n7n0r5s]http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=856328&t=11082005[/url]
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
I'll get back to work on it when i'm back from the Caribbean in a week or so.

Legion: TBD
Good find, Julius. Junk mail has some use after all, eh?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Well, here are my belt plates...after cutting them into smaller sections, I re-heated and re-wiped them. Then smoothed them down a bit with some 400 grit sand paper, then some autosol paste polish. I also sanded the top of the stamped rings to reveal the brass, then did another polish with the autosol. The longer plates will be rolled into hinges to accept the buckle and frogs. The really smooth looking long plate is the one I did with the oatey, but I'm really happy with how the other ones turned out.

Very nice, frater! Big Grin

Edge
Gaius Aurelius Calvus
(Edge Gibbons)

Rules for Posting

LEG XI CPF
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.11thlegion.com">http://www.11thlegion.com

"Mens est clavis victoriae."
Sweet! Nice job Matt (three of my favorite words LOL)
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
They look great!
So...are you going to change the title of the thread?? :wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Sweet! Nice job Matt (three of my favorite words LOL)

HAHAHHAAHA...nice.

Thanks everyone! Thanks for all your advice...if I had not gotten it, I'd have thought tinning was for the barbarians.

Quote:They look great!
So...are you going to change the title of the thread?? :wink:

I suppose i should...lol

Awesome job Matt - well done for sticking with it! I have just started tinning a few things myself and know how frustrating it can be until you get the hang of it. Looking forward to seeing the complete belt. Laudes.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Hey Barry, for tinning the inside of bowls and what not, do you need a special kind of solder that isn't toxic? Or is the silver/tin stuff I'm using ok?

Hi Matt,

As far as I know once it is applied it is not toxic (assuming it is cleaned up and any residual flux is removed), but I think Wes could be the man to answer this question with more certainty.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Good idea!

How did you make the former for your spiffy new belt plates Matt?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
You mean the ring pattern? I had a stamp and die made up a looong time ago...not sure what I based it off of, but it luckily resembled some double ring patterns at Vindonissa I believe. Or was it Vindolanda...anyway, i was shooting in the dark at the time and got lucky with a design. It's a helluva lot cheaper than buying plates...just costs us the brass plates.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  More on Tinning (Moron Tinning?) Anonymous 17 4,846 07-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Anonymous