Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HBO Rome Nominated For Costume Honors...
You don't think the set burnt down by accident do you? :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
What?!

You mean it didn't...?

:?

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Thanks for posting the results! I like Pushing Daisies and Golden Compass, so no complaints from me.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote:
Libitina:3dp2ekra Wrote:
MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS:3dp2ekra Wrote:Hmmn... maybe all the Roman Re-Enactment societies should get together and make a film of their own... perhaps that would work?

Fantastic idea in theory but can you imagine the raging discussions over what is authentic or not? Which period? etc :lol: I'll be Boudica.. or tealady.. whatever Big Grin

Well, if for a minute we put the mass logistical difficulties aside, agree on a time period, call in the relevant re-enactment societies for that era and any other ones willing to portray a time period not of their own (through loaned equipment presumably*), then I think it would not be that hard.

Most societies that I see from one time period seem to get along well and pretty much agree on the ''standard'', and im sure that whatever consensus we agree on, even if imperfect, will still be vastly superior to what Hollywood seems to offer at the momment.

Now, coming back to the problems. Massive logistical problems of linking all these societies, time, money (and that is a BIG problem), etc...

*Another problem. We would have to figure out a decent way of lending equipment whilst making sure nothing goes missing or is stolen, again very hard.

So after we get all that done, all is well.

Alternatively, we could simply lend/sell ourselves to hollywood and in the process provide all the extras, equipment, realism and authenticity and it would probably even cost them less as they would only be paying wages rather than getting the 'fake' equipment done first and then paying people to wear them.

In 1985 ABC did a mini-series called "The North and the South" starring Patrick Swayze. It was filmed on a plantation outside of Natchez Mississippi and a call for Civil War reenactors to act as extras went out. Several thousand reenactors responded from all over the US and even some from England and Germany.

I was a CW reenactor at the time. Twelve of us from my group in California drove to Mississippi for two weeks of filming. We were payed for mileage and food to and from Mississippi plus fifty dollars a day and food during the filming (2 weeks).

Reenactors brought all their own uniforms, weapons, powder, etc. Cavalry units brought their own horses, saddles, & gear, Artillery units brought their cannons, limbers, & horses, of course Cavalry and Artillery groups were payed more. It was awesome!

Two large camps were set up, one Federal and one Confederate. Nothing moderen was visible in the camps and we slept in tents on the ground for the 2 weeks we were there.

While talking to the movie staff we were told that the expense of using reenactors who supplied their own gear was cheeper and less of a hassel than hiring extras and buying all the "costumes" needed. Also it was much more authentic than Hollywood could have done.

I think if another movie was made about Rome or the Roman army, and reenactors were used, it would look much more authentic and cost the producers less than using extras with no knowledge of ancient Rome and paying for hokey "costumes". All the CW groups in The north and the South worked well togeather, and appointed their own officers to lead and coordinate with the movie staff.

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
COSTUMES
Remember the category is "Costumes" and not "historic clothes".

HIRE REENACTORS
Why doesn't Hollywood hire reenactors? They do, sometimes:
- Gettysburg
- Last of the Mohicans
- Glory

I remember a movie about the ECW, with Richard Harris.. I remember reading that just about all of the extras in the battle scenes were reenactors, just like in Gettysburg

Or the movie Heaven and Earth (Japanese Epic) using lots and lots of actual historic kit.

Army of Darkness hired loads of reenactors! Lots of folk from various Southern California Ren Faire groups and dare I say it? .. [size=75:8mmm524g]several SCA fighters[/size]....

One of the stories about Gladiator was that Ridley Scott looked into using re-enactors, but.... reenactors usually can't get a 2, 3 or 4 or more weeks off of work to do a film. Did you know that he actully spent more money on soldier kit by renting and making the wrong gear than it would have cost him to buy it from Deepeeka? But, it was faster.

At least he got something right, the look of soldiers in the field near the end of several days/weeks of combat... dirty, rusty, bandaged....

When I was making Kit commercially I had the chance to bid a few TV shows and films.. providing clothes, armor, weapons etc... "Can you get me 80 segmentatas in 8 weeks?".. not an untypical question.

BRACERS
ACK!

When we did our first History Channel show the "costumer" wanted us to wear bracers. Had a whole box full of them! The reason given was that the untanned area of the wrist, the watch shadow is too difficult to cover with makeup as wrists tend to rub up against things... Hollywood's solution is the bracer. Pure Hollywood! DOUBLE ACK!

BTW if you want to see a very good movie in that the armor, clothes et al are exceptionally good when compared to Hollywood you need to see the Polish remake of Quo Vadis?.
http://www.polishfilmla.org/wocms.php?siteID=12&ID=142
We saw it at The Polish Film Festival in L.A. 2001, but understand that HBO refused to release it for distribution.
http://www.polishfilmla.org/wocms.php?siteID=33&lngID=1
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Quote:I was a CW reenactor at the time. Twelve of us from my group in California drove to Mississippi for two weeks of filming. We were payed for mileage and food to and from Mississippi plus fifty dollars a day and food during the filming (2 weeks).

That's so awesome Bill -- I remember that mini-series when I was a kid!
Now I can boast that I know someone from North and South, LOL.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Quote:BTW if you want to see a very good movie in that the armor, clothes et al are exceptionally good when compared to Hollywood you need to see the Polish remake of Quo Vadis?.
http://www.polishfilmla.org/wocms.php?siteID=12&ID=142
We saw it at The Polish Film Festival in L.A. 2001, but understand that HBO refused to release it for distribution.
http://www.polishfilmla.org/wocms.php?siteID=33&lngID=1

I second that, and if you decide to get the Polish film, watch out, there are two versions available, a shorter (theatrical release) and the full 270 minute Polish TV miniseries (all with English subtitles, multi-region DVD player might be required). Pretty good version and great costumes and sets.
Aka
Christoph
Quote:
Quote:I was a CW reenactor at the time. Twelve of us from my group in California drove to Mississippi for two weeks of filming. We were payed for mileage and food to and from Mississippi plus fifty dollars a day and food during the filming (2 weeks).

That's so awesome Bill -- I remember that mini-series when I was a kid!
Now I can boast that I know someone from North and South, LOL.

Thanks Sharon for remembering the mini-series, it was a long time ago. :oops:

It was a great experience, like going back in time. I have to say tho that after 2 weeks of wearing wool, sleeping on the ground, and no showers, I was ready for it to end.

When the mini-series came out I was able to pick out 5 scenes that I stood out in. In one scene, the battle of Petersburg I was a Confederate casualty laying on the ground and Patrick Swayze, portraying a Confederate general was supposed to take a wound and fall across my body. When they filmed it Patrick Swayze fell on me but misjudged his fall and the back of his head connected with my chin, talk about seeing stars, but I didn't flinch or move. After the director yelled cut, Patrick Swayze jumped up helped me to my feet, asked if i was ok and apologized. I guess that was my 15 minutes of fame. :lol:

Maius/Bill
Marcus Petronius Maius
LEG XIIII GEMINA COH VI
LOL, That's a great story to tell people! If I ever get the chance to see NOrth and South again, I'll be on the lookout for you in that scene.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting