Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HBO Rome Nominated For Costume Honors...
Quote:Maybe the average Joe Public would consider authentic Roman clothing to be too bland?

Hahaha! I can almost see them!
"What? That´s what they looked like? Boooooooring!"
:lol:

Quote: guess one of the reasons they're not 100%
Yes it´s more around 15%, 5% out of which each go to
- they wear clothes
- they wear jewelry
- they wear shoes
8)
Quote:authentic is because they only have to get the majority to be convinced. Perhaps paying for more researchers (or whatever it is they do) for the sake of a few reenactors/historians isn't worth it to them. For a fictional drama I'd say that's fair enough but not for a documentary.
Good theory. Smile
Mine would be: They have been scammed. They found someone who told the that they would get the right stuff, on whom they depended and relied. That person got a lot of money, and didn´t do his / her job right.
Happens all the time.
A collegue of my father found out how to scam the boss by working more. Confusedhock: It worked. 8) Until my father found out. People always find a way to get things done. Smile
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Perhaps when the finished the sets , the money ran out for costumes? Tongue
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Actually, I do not think it was an issue of budget (though money is always a factor in Hollywood decision making) but rather a case of expectations of what ancient Romans looked like, particularly Roman soldiers.

It really would not have cost that much more (if at all) to produce helmets that were authentic to the time and place (or for that matter shields and armor) but the authentic items just don't look "Roman." The vast majority of the viewing public know what ancient Romans looked like thanks to Hollywood, and those in HBO's Rome looked very good by Hollywood standards. To the untrained eye they looked correct. Caius Tarquitius is right when he says many would have looked at authentic Romans and said "Boooring!"

Of equal concern to me was the show's tendency to compress time and characters to fit their series dramatic structure. I think we lost out on a lot of colorful history replaced by colorful invention. However we have discussed that point in another topic thread in the Review section.

Oh, and I did enjoy the Rome series, and for that matter "I Claudius" even more and their armor was no better. That is not to say that I don't think Hollywood should strive to do better (ala Alexander The Great -- great costumes) but what can I say: all things considered I'll take "I Claudius" and "Rome" over not having them at all. Now "The Last Legion" ... that's another story... :x

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:I would agree with you Senovara...although I have not seen Pushing daisies(or 300) :lol:

Woah, then you're the only one I know who hasn't seen 300! Wink

I still think ROME should win -- whether historically accurate or not, they're still better than many historical films/documentaries I've seen. That aside, the clothing and hair for Atia, Octavia, and Cleopatra alone should win the award.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:2egml59j Wrote:I would agree with you Senovara...although I have not seen Pushing daisies(or 300) :lol:

Woah, then you're the only one I know who hasn't seen 300! Wink

I still think ROME should win -- whether historically accurate or not, they're still better than many historical films/documentaries I've seen. That aside, the clothing and hair for Atia, Octavia, and Cleopatra alone should win the award.

Sorry, I just couldn't force my self to go see it...... :lol: I have harped on about wanting to see the Pressfield version often enough, so I won't repeat myself, much, again.....but it would have been better.....but enough of that...for now... :lol: :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Xerxes' costume didn't cost much, is all I have to say about that. :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hmmn... maybe all the Roman Re-Enactment societies should get together and make a film of their own... perhaps that would work?
Quote:Hmmn... maybe all the Roman Re-Enactment societies should get together and make a film of their own... perhaps that would work?

Fantastic idea in theory but can you imagine the raging discussions over what is authentic or not? Which period? etc :lol: I'll be Boudica.. or tealady.. whatever Big Grin
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Quote:
MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS:btrmo5s0 Wrote:Hmmn... maybe all the Roman Re-Enactment societies should get together and make a film of their own... perhaps that would work?

Fantastic idea in theory but can you imagine the raging discussions over what is authentic or not? Which period? etc :lol: I'll be Boudica.. or tealady.. whatever Big Grin

Well, if for a minute we put the mass logistical difficulties aside, agree on a time period, call in the relevant re-enactment societies for that era and any other ones willing to portray a time period not of their own (through loaned equipment presumably*), then I think it would not be that hard.

Most societies that I see from one time period seem to get along well and pretty much agree on the ''standard'', and im sure that whatever consensus we agree on, even if imperfect, will still be vastly superior to what Hollywood seems to offer at the momment.

Now, coming back to the problems. Massive logistical problems of linking all these societies, time, money (and that is a BIG problem), etc...

*Another problem. We would have to figure out a decent way of lending equipment whilst making sure nothing goes missing or is stolen, again very hard.

So after we get all that done, all is well.

Alternatively, we could simply lend/sell ourselves to hollywood and in the process provide all the extras, equipment, realism and authenticity and it would probably even cost them less as they would only be paying wages rather than getting the 'fake' equipment done first and then paying people to wear them.
Quote:
Libitina:kqyxghzl Wrote:
MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS:kqyxghzl Wrote:Hmmn... maybe all the Roman Re-Enactment societies should get together and make a film of their own... perhaps that would work?

Well, if for a minute we put the mass logistical difficulties aside, agree on a time period, call in the relevant re-enactment societies for that era and any other ones willing to portray a time period not of their own (through loaned equipment presumably*), then I think it would not be that hard.

Most societies that I see from one time period seem to get along well and pretty much agree on the ''standard'', and im sure that whatever consensus we agree on, even if imperfect, will still be vastly superior to what Hollywood seems to offer at the momment.

Now, coming back to the problems. Massive logistical problems of linking all these societies, time, money (and that is a BIG problem), etc...

*Another problem. We would have to figure out a decent way of lending equipment whilst making sure nothing goes missing or is stolen, again very hard.

Alternatively, we could simply lend/sell ourselves to hollywood and in the process provide all the extras, equipment, realism and authenticity and it would probably even cost them less as they would only be paying wages rather than getting the 'fake' equipment done first and then paying people to wear them.

Then Keira Knightly will get my part Cry I think quite a lot of groups have done TV/film work. And I agree, that does make more sense. Quite why companies don't look towards reenactment groups more, I'm not sure. Perhaps it's the stigma of the general public thinking we're all nerds and not taking us seriously.

Would be great fun to have reenactors actually do their own film. You might need to find a millionaire hiding among us!
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
You need to watch A Cock and Bull Story to find out how re-enactors are viewed, and, to be honest, probably how they are perceived as behaving on set. Not all re-enactors do Roman :wink:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0423409/

In all fairness, the costume designer does get a load of grief for making British uniforms from a century sooner than when the film is set.

Interesting link: http://www.reenactors.tv/info/about.php
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I saw A Cock and Bull Story on DVD -- strange but very funny film! The more I see of Steve Coogan's films, the funnier he gets.

Quote:Now, coming back to the problems. Massive logistical problems of linking all these societies, time, money (and that is a BIG problem), etc...

Don't forget, you'd also need a writer (a story is important), director, filming equipment, casting crew (because you will need real actors), special effects team, sound, editing ... I could go on. And as you say, lots of MONEY! :wink:

Making a movie - even an independent film - is not so easy!

Smile And in the interest of staying on topic, I *still* say Rome deserves the win!
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote:I saw A Cock and Bull Story on DVD -- strange but very funny film! The more I see of Steve Coogan's films, the funnier he gets.

Quote:Now, coming back to the problems. Massive logistical problems of linking all these societies, time, money (and that is a BIG problem), etc...

Don't forget, you'd also need a writer (a story is important), director, filming equipment, casting crew (because you will need real actors), special effects team, sound, editing ... I could go on. And as you say, lots of MONEY! :wink:

Making a movie - even an independent film - is not so easy!

Smile And in the interest of staying on topic, I *still* say Rome deserves the win!

lol, yes, all that is under 'money' hehehe...

Unfortunately, I have never seen HBO's rome, although I really want to. And sorry for hijacking the thread.
[Image: Pullo_vorenus.jpg]

Why do they always depict them with the wrist bracelets?

Is that just "Hollywood" or does it have some truth to it?
The children of Doom...Doom\'\'s children. They told my lord the way to the mountain of power. They told him to throw down his sword and return to the earth...HA!! time enough for the earth in the grave.

James
The results are in from the 10th Annual Costume Designers Guild awards held last night at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel.

In the TV Period/Fantasy category Rome lost to Pushing Daisies

and...

In the Feature Film Fantasy category The 300 lost to The Golden Compass

Ah well, perhaps if HBO ever does a third season (unlikely as that may be) they will be nominated again.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA