Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek Bronze Greaves
No problem. The second response was what I was getting at though. Thank you. I kind of thought that but had no real way to know since I have never held an ancient pair.

So this is great. I sanded the left greave down spending hours on it. I got to the 600 grit wet sand paper before the polish and a small crack opened up in the knee at the bend from the leg! Confusedhock: Oh well, I closed it almost entirely up with a finishing hammer and put some JB weld on the back side of it to dry overnight. It should be hardly noticeable when done.

I have started the right leg and already cracked it too! Man it has been a bad day. The knee is fully dished though so, once again, I put JB weld and will finish it after the weld dries completely. You couldn't really even see the crack once I hammered it shut so the weld should hide it completely......I hope and pray!

This is my last piece of metal so I have to make it work. I have my earlier attempts, but I don't think they can be curved like they need too from the shape they were cut. This thread is kind of becoming a journal of sorts, but hopefully it can help anyone else in their attempts too and show that it takes lots of time and willingness to start over again.
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie
This thread is one of the most creative ones in the Greek section. The left greave is finished,right? Can you post a picture and tell us how it feels? Or will we have to wait for the pair? And bear in mind that with the leather or felt backing it will feel even more comfortable. And more tight.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Okay, here is the left greave. It has been a massive pain, figuratively and literally, making it! I made a 100% wool felt liner and a leather trim around the greave. The leather makes it feel like a lot of pressure when putting it on instead of someone scraping all my skin off. It is MUCH more comfartable with the leather trim.

One problem besides it not being perfect is that my calf is just not big enough to keep it from sliding down. They are so tight they feel like they would cut off all my circulation if I made them even slightly tighter. Would it be good form to put a small thong only at the top of the calf? I am thinking just two pieces of leather to tie ina knot behind the knee. They don't slide much, but if I run or jump some, they do slide down some.

I would have liked to planish a bit more, but these make the cuirass look like child's play. It is just REALLY hard to work in there. I understand why they cost sooo much. The right is 75% hammered out.\\

[Image: 014a.jpg]

[Image: 015a.jpg]

[Image: 016a.jpg]
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie
[Image: 017a.jpg]
Chris Boatcallie
Very good. Well done,Laudes.
Does the knee work in the angle you made it?
The thong can be added with two small rings behind the knee,over the calf. At least one such has been found from the 4th century I think in Italy. If you think you can avoid it,do it.Just my opinion.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Yes. It feels fine. I can walk with no problem and it doesn't place much pressure on the knee at all. I guess it turned out okay, but I definately would not be satisfied if this was from an armourer.

I think I am going to have to place a very thin thong behind the knee though. I have stared at my calves for a while now and they are almost flat on the back side and do not curve sharply enough back to the knee after the thickest point to really give me anything to grip with the metal.

I really think they look better without it, but I may not have a choice. I will wait until the right is finished to do it last though in case an idea pops in my head to avoid it. They fit really snug though so I didn't see where to cinch it in more to keep them from sliding. I really think it is just the shape of my calf that is the problem.
Chris Boatcallie
Thought I would give an update. I am without greaves again. I totally destroyed both. I am not happy with them AT ALL! I would rather not have them than have them look and fit the way they do. I am out of metal, but did learn a lot. I also had fun destroying the greaves with weaponry. It was really theraputic. :?

I intend to buy a sheet of .036" bronze instead of the .05" I bought before and work them. I am not even going to think about redoing them until I can get casts of my legs. It is just too hard to try and look at my legs from afar. I want to be able to get up close and personal, and I want to be able to test fit them and do the finishing work on the casts.

I can tell you that the skill is in the hammering. Although the template does need some skew to it, the real curve of the greave takes shape in the hammering. I am not going to post anymore updates, but expect a post in a few months, hopefully with total success. Go big or go home, right?

Matt,

I have a very large scrap pile. When do I start getting useable armour? :lol:
Chris Boatcallie
Chris,you've been the most productive of all of us in the near past. Congratulations anyway. And this thread has evolved in a very informative one. Looking forward to any of your exciting finds for us amateur metal workers in this or any other thread.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Zoiks! Sorry it didn't work out!

Quote:I have a very large scrap pile. When do I start getting useable armour? :lol:

Patience, young Jedi, always in motion is the future! Do--or do not. There is no "try". (How you get so big eating food such as this?)

Aww, I like progress reports! It helps us all learn! Whatever works for you, though.

Khaire,

Matthew

PS: 2 days until Speed Racer, and I'm quoting Yoda? Must be tired...
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Thanks. I am willing to take another go at it. I had an idea last night while I was sleeping apparently. I am going to take bandages and mold my legs. Then I am going to cut them off carefully and tape them back together. Then I am going to add a ton of layers of paper mache to reinforce the walls of the mold. Then I am going to pour cement into them and let it dry. I am hoping to get a pretty good mold of my leg in cement. Then I will use 19 gauge metal to hammer the things out.
Chris Boatcallie
I have been wondering how to cast my feet for ages.......never thought of tha tthough!! 8) Louds to you sir!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Is there any evidence for bronze greaves being cast and hammered, like some ancient helmets were?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I guess they had to get the plate somehow Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I have no idea whether it will work or not. I just ordered enough plaster bandages to make fairly thick molds of my calves and will make the cement casts this weekend. I also ordered the thinner metal, but it won't get here for two weeks.

It may not work, but I recall a definition of insanity being, "Doing the same thing the same way repeatedly, expecting different results." ... Sooo, I am trying different methods and hoping these will work. I just hope I am not changing too much. I am going to form aluminum foil greaves first to make absolutely sure my stencil is the correct shape and that the finished greaves will have the allusive curveature. Then, at least I will know that it is my hammering that is lacking, and I can focus on that one variable.
Chris Boatcallie
Chris,nice you're continueing so soon! I had thought cement,too. But I was thinking I could hammer the metal on the actual casts(which is partly impossible) and wondered if it would break with the first hits. But since you want them just to be able to see all the details of shape,then go for it.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Shield types from Bronze to Hellenistic Age hoplite14gr 6 5,706 04-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Last Post: DR_Reham
  Greek bronze bowl maitre Renard 4 2,312 03-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Last Post: John Conyard
  Deepeeka greek greaves Tarbicus 5 1,841 05-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite