Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glueing a Linothorax
Oh, I understand what you were saying now.

Gioi, forgive me for asking, but curiosity has gotten the better of me. Where are you from and what is your original language? Your English is fine. That's not why I am asking. I am just curious.

Well, thank you both for the information. I like to hash this all out way before I actually start working. I am off to start my next attempt at the greaves. I will cut the right out today and start shaping it, ... AGAIN! Confusedhock:

I am hoping to start my linothorax in three weeks or so and then I am planning on making a second aspis when I am done with that too. That should get me into the fall and then I will be too busy to worry about things to productively fill my time.
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie
Good luck again with your greaves.
This is how i plan to trim my pteryges in the new linothorax. it won't be anytime soon,but I've planned most things...In my linothorax,trimming was the most time consuming thing,believe it or not! And it was one of the reasons I didn't trim the pteryges at that point. One thing is sure.The trim of the pteryges should be thinner than that of the main body.
[Image: linopteryges.jpg]
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
No. Thanks for the answer. I have been curious because of comments you have made here and there.

I just spent my first few hours on the greave for the right leg. INSERT EXPLATIVE HERE! I am coming to realize that I will never get this perfect. It already curves ten times better than the last one, but there are just so many curves to the leg. I'll post an update in a week or so in the other thread.

Thanks for the information on the linothorax. I can't wait to start it because I am already sick of the greave and it's the first day. I have some of the material on order, but I won't even do the model until I am done with the current project.
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie
No. I have patience. Otherwise I would have quit long ago. I have probably 120 hours into trying greaves so far. I just don't think I have the ability, knowledge, or experience to get them quite right. That is the frustrating part. I know what the metal needs to do. I just cannot get it to do it. The legs are really complicated to shape for sure.

Oh. The concrete definately helps to visualize all the surface of the leg, but like I said all along. The hammer work is the killer.
Chris Boatcallie
Agreed that some depictions of the linothorax show a straight cylinder while others are narrower at the waist. Only way I can figure to do the latter is to make the body and the pteruges in separate pieces, both curved, so that they form tapered cylinders or are sort of conical when the ends are connected. Then attach the sections together at the middle somehow.

For the scales, would it make more sense (and be a heck of a lot easier!) to sew them to a couple layers of linen separately from the body, and then glue or stitch the finished scale sections in place? I wouldn't wire the scales together in Roman fashion unless there were some evidence for that, though they might certainly overlap horizontally as well as vertically.

Khairete!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Matt,

I absolutely agree. That's what I was thinking. I think the point they make is if the scales are damaged or a stich rips, then it would be really difficult to repair. I see the advantages and disadvantages of both. I will probably decide the day that I am putting it together.

I have an OT question, but don't want to make a whole new thread for it. Is it acceptable to paint the Corinthian Helmet? I really, really like the look of some hoplite reenactors that have only painted the lower section of the helmet black.
Chris Boatcallie
Matt,why not wire the scales? Actually i wasn't saying to wire them together,but wire them to the fabric. Given that there in no evidence at all for greek scales,I thought the roman(and skythian-wich may connect to the greek) method may be relevant.
Chris,painted helmets seem to have existed.You can possibly add a pattern in your helmet left unpainted,even a whole scene with a fght,or a godess or hunting or just animals(usually lions and boars). There is no very strong evidence on how they painted the helmets,but some examples seem to had been very alaborate and colourful as well. Black is usually prefered among re-enactors because all the painted part in vases HAD to be black. However more colours may have well existed and possibly were more common,as the ancient warriors had a preference for bright colours and shiny armour-unlike the modern notion(derived perhaps from Batman :?: :lol: )
I also think painting a deepeeka helm makes it better and more individualized
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Quote:Chris B wrote:
Matt,

I have an OT question, but don't want to make a whole new thread for it. Is it acceptable to paint the Corinthian Helmet? I really, really like the look of some hoplite reenactors that have only painted the lower section of the helmet black

Some work has been done in Germany to reproduce the colours seen on statues (am pretty certain in the depths of the threads there must be something on it). From this there is some insight into how elaborate some of the painting might have been. There are certainly many images (again there is a thread somewhere) that support painted designs.

This is one that I made on the back of the Munich work..
ouragos

Andy
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.4hoplites.com">www.4hoplites.com
Yes this is one of the most excellent examples of reworked deepeeka helmets. Some more fine examples of painted and reworked deepeeka can be seen in Kallimachos' website,of the Hetairoi.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Look up "Gods in Colour" in google you will get the Exibition that was put together by the Glyptoteck museum in Munich, one of the helmets in it was very brightly painted, so feel free to paint you Corinthian!
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
Hey Jason,I was just wondering how long you've stayed out of these linothorax discussions! A coincidence Smile Ehm,what happened with your book about the linothorax?
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Should be done in about three months all going well, all research done final colation of images finished now just got to finish writing it.
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
Looking forward to it! We've written dozens of pages about the linothorax here in RAT,but this is going to be a whole BOOK! What's the title gonna be?
Giannis K. Hoplite
Giannis,

Here is a rough idea of what I am thinking for the aspis. Once I settle on the aspis for sure, I will take some of the elements to the linothorax and add some new ones. I am playing with the colors some so I may not settle on that deep red. I am still thinking a purple/violet. I don't know, but this is probably the pattern regardless.

I cannot find enough metal to cover the entire aspis, but I am considering putting a bronze circle over the center section to make the sunburst bronze instead of painted. I may not though.

I did paint the corinthian black on the lower section like I have seen many people do. I like that pic of the helm above, but wanted it more reserved so that it didn't look out of place with my personal panalopy. Thanks for the links. I'll probably get a bit more bold on my chalcidian.
Chris Boatcallie
It's a nice pattern. Partly the colours I'd use in my shield,too. I like the deep red/broun clour. Have you seen this particular sun desighn in anything ancient,though? If you have,it must have been a rather late one,right?
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite