Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did you choose your RAT-name ???
My full Roman name is Brennivs Horativs Caesar and I am knowen as Brennivs by groups, so hence I use this on RAT as well as Brennvs used his Sword on the Capitol to wield ultimate power without spilling blood Big Grin otherwise three of my favorite people from the Republic.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Well...

Since I was big fan of Frank Herbert's scifi-book series Dune when I was in Army, nickname Sardaukar kind of stuck to me. (Imaginary sardaukars were Imperial elite soldies..also formed in legions...their legions were bit larger, tho.. Tongue )

Also added another descriptive latin name in front of my real name in my signature... :lol:
(Mika S.)

"Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior." - Catullus -

"Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit."

"Audendo magnus tegitur timor." -Lucanus-
Dune is way cool 8) ... I really like the first adaption by David Lynch
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Its my adopted name of a X Gemina legionary.

only debate is whether Vibius is actually a freedman's name or the real deal, Consular ancestry..... (probably not!) and if the Maurinus means he was dark skinned or not...

if i remember correctly his family came from Mauretania or Spain.
he died somewhere near Cologne on what seems to have been a service trip... and his family erected his grave stone

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Just found a Libitina on another message board I use. How dare she :evil: Big Grin

Ooooo, slow burn Smile

As for my Roman name....

Praenomen: Aetius= eagle. Being the firstborn, a father might have had hopes for me, and named me accordingly.

Nomen: Helvius=My understanding of Latin is rudimentary, but I understand this to mean the area of Switzerland/Bavaria, which is where many of my ancestors hail from. So, it's not unreasonable that a newly minted citizen would have his area of origin given as a nomen.

Cognomen: Merula= blackbird. I was always the odd one of the family, and from what I understand of Roman society, they wouldn't be too shy about expressing that.
---AH Mervla, aka Joel Boynton
Legio XIIII, Gemina Martia Victrix
When I signed up at the first board with a Roman topic I picked a name from a list they had there so that ended up as Cleopatra (after my cat who's named after the Cleopatra) and Aelia just thinking as a nice nomen. So this still is my e-mail addy, but for Roman fora I changed it after I had picked my arena name to that arena name because that is more catchy.

Why Medusa for a gladiatrix? I definitely didn't want to pick any of the two names known of gladiatrices - Achilia or Amazone. But since many gladiators chose names from Greek mythology I found Medusa appropriate. So I changed to this name in fora as well.
Quote:because when I registered on RAT I read a book about the crisis of the Republic. I couldn't think of a nick and the book was lying next to me, so I opened it and picked the first decent Roman name I came across which did not contain the word Caesar...

Something like this happened to me with my early teens nick. It was a name used by a female character trying to seem a male warrior...

About non-muggle names, I have also literally one (er, magical, I mean :roll: ) used by another personality I have (BTW:Quite Irish, that one :wink: )

One day I´ll choose a Roman name. I´m Crispin´s son, so Crispinus will be for sure. His family is nicknamed "Cats" for having clear eyes and/or being blonde, so perhaps the Latin equivalent or just "felix" will be enough. So I don´t have much work still... :wink:

And well, my RAT name it´s my name. It´s so uncommon, even in the Basque Country, and it´s, by today standards, mispelled, so it´s almost unique... Big Grin
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Quote:As an added bonus there's a weak Star Wars reference within that name. Laudes to the first who can point it out.
hmm ... a riddle.Big Grin lol:
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
I finally looked it up and....

Well obscure is right.

Are you a surgeon?
And man you have 12 death sentences???

Man your rough!
Chris McVey
Quote:
LCorneliusScaeva:l90vrix4 Wrote:As an added bonus there's a weak Star Wars reference within that name. Laudes to the first who can point it out.
hmm ... a riddle.Big Grin lol:

It's fairly lame so I'll just say what it is. In classical Latin 'c' is hard and 'v' sounds like a 'w'. That makes my praenomen and cognomem sound like LUKE-ius SKY-wa, which is sort of like Luke Skywalker. Yeah, I know, pretty weak.
L. Cornelius Scaeva (Jim Miller)
Legio VI VPF

"[The Romans understood] it is not walls that protect men but men that protect walls" - Strabo
Ah, I thought it was this

[url:39r2zdh3]http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cornelius_Evazan[/url]
Chris McVey
Actually...

That's pretty amusing Cornelius, though I do find the connection to Planet of the Apes more convincing.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Mine is taken from a military discharge diploma from Raetia of a Batavian soldier named Peronis who took on the name of the Emperor Trajan on becoming a Roman Citizen (Marcus Ulpius Peronis)

Peronis are a type of boot!
Come on Ade, admit it, you just named your self after the beer..... :lol: Tongue
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Mine is simply a Latinized version of my real name, Paul.
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.