Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did you choose your RAT-name ???
Quote:As for my Roman name....

Praenomen: Aetius= eagle. Being the firstborn, a father might have had hopes for me, and named me accordingly.

Nomen: Helvius=My understanding of Latin is rudimentary, but I understand this to mean the area of Switzerland/Bavaria, which is where many of my ancestors hail from. So, it's not unreasonable that a newly minted citizen would have his area of origin given as a nomen.

Of course, "Aetius" isn't a praenomen, and is a late borrowing from Greek... and Helvius is a Roman nomen unrelated to Helvetius "Helvetian" or Helveticus ~"Swiss". And a newly minted citizen would more likely take on the nomen of the reigning emperor, or his patron if he were a freed slave.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:Actually...

That's pretty amusing Cornelius, though I do find the connection to Planet of the Apes more convincing.

:wink:

Narukami

So do I ;-) )

btw, Narukami, you "forgot" to tell us about your name. Big Grin
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Well I just used my real name up top because I kind of got tired of screen names on other Fora and decided I'd rather be known as me LOL As for my Roman name in the signature line, apparently as an infant one of my legs wasn't growing straight, so I had to have a cast for a time (I've seen photos), so VARVS- meaning 'bowlegged'- seemed a good choice as were I Roman, I may indeed have been so. LVCILIVS is a real Nomen and seemed sufficiently close to my real family name, and I've just always really liked the Praenoment GAIVS.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:Actually...

That's pretty amusing Cornelius, though I do find the connection to Planet of the Apes more convincing.

Narukami

Hmm, I'm not sure, but I think I've just been insulted. :? lol:
L. Cornelius Scaeva (Jim Miller)
Legio VI VPF

"[The Romans understood] it is not walls that protect men but men that protect walls" - Strabo
Quote:
Narukami:3uga7a6l Wrote:Actually...

Narukami

Hmm, I'm not sure, but I think I've just been insulted. :? lol:

Not at all sir -- particularly for those of us who are fans of those most intelligent simians... :wink:
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Ah, my favourite Galley slave!!

shaking hands with what i believe to be a Dacian envoy?

Tongue

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:btw, Narukami, you "forgot" to tell us about your name. Big Grin

Well...

This is my "Nome de digital" so to speak for many years now on many web sites.

Narukami is a character in the kabuki play "Saint Narukami and the God Fudo" which is rarely performed in its entirety, though several individual acts are still very popular. (Narukami, Kenuki, and Fudo)

The name Narukami literally means "Thunder God" however like Libitina I have no divine aspirations -- I just like the name.

In short, Narukami is a powerful Buddhist monk who imprisons the rain gods to force the Emperor of Japan to pay him for a debt he is owed. The Emperor dispatches Princess Taema who seduces Narukami. As he sleeps after a night of wild passion Princess Taema takes her tanto and cuts the sacred rope thus freeing the rain gods from their captivity. Realizing that he has been had (so to speak) and lost his sainthood Narukami in his rage changes into a thunder god. His acolytes try to restrain him but to no avail and the act ends with Narukami vowing revenge.

http://www.kabuki21.com/narukami.php

It is a fun play and a good example of the aragoto style of acting popular with Edo audiences in feudal Japan.

Shades of that "Scottish Play" Narukami too has been plagued by problems in years past...

Was "Narukami" a cursed play during the Edo period? Ichikawa Ebizô II's adopted son fell ill and died while his father was performing the role of Narukami. Ichikawa Danjûrô VIII collapsed on stage when he performed the role of Narukami for the first time. Many incidents occurred when "Narukami" was staged. Superstition might explain the reluctance of Ichikawa Danjûrô IX to stage "Narukami". So far, it seems that the old curse is no more here to plague nowadays actors. from the kabuki21 web site

Thanks for asking.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I already had a small forum attached to my main website Vortigern Studies. This automatically became my username here, since RAT v.2 (I think it was) was from the same forum people. I think I never bothered to change it later cuz all knew me as Vorty or something.. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
An avatar, in internet lingua, is the little picture that represents each and everyone in forums or chatrooms. But then you all knew that.

The words I leave in forums, along with what thoughts I share, are a written avatar of myself. Thus, I selected "Avatar" as my RAT name. Wink

So no, it has nothing to do with a certain TV show(which I was unaware of until about a year ago), nor the BattleTech 'mech, nor any other game. Or Hinduism, for that matter. Just FYI, since I'm tired of people assuming any of those are the source behind it.
"There are some who call me... Tim..."

Sic vis pacem, para bellum

Exitus acta probat

Nemo saltat sobrius

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Fortes Fortuna Aduvat

"The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one! Good odds for any Greek!"
Just a (probably wrong) latinisation of my 'normal' first name. Unfortanatelly I have replaced the u with v by then, but forgot changing the j to i. But that was about 5 years ago, and as many people recognise me with this (user)name, I wouldn't change it anymore.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:An avatar, in internet lingua, is the little picture that represents each and everyone in forums or chatrooms. But then you all knew that.

The words I leave in forums, along with what thoughts I share, are a written avatar of myself. Thus, I selected "Avatar" as my RAT name. Wink

So no, it has nothing to do with a certain TV show(which I was unaware of until about a year ago), nor the BattleTech 'mech, nor any other game. Or Hinduism, for that matter. Just FYI, since I'm tired of people assuming any of those are the source behind it.

There I was thinking you were just lazy and unimaginative! Tongue P lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
Avatar:9enz0lbq Wrote:An avatar, in internet lingua, is the little picture that represents each and everyone in forums or chatrooms. But then you all knew that.

There I was thinking you were just lazy and unimaginative! Tongue P lol:

*cough* pot.. kettle.. *cough* :lol: Tongue
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Hmmmm, now that is cheek! Your lucky you don't work on my Latifundia, young wench!!!! :x lol: :lol: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Hmmmm, now that is cheek! Your lucky you don't work on my Latifundia, young wench!!!! :x lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

My humble apologies... *backs out of thread in great haste*
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Good girl! :lol: :lol:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel