Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indiana Jones 4....**SPOILER ALERT***
[size=150:q9pzqbmx]DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE YET! [/size]

Ok, I went and saw the new Indiana Jones 4 movie last night...

WTF is wrong with George Lucas? So many glaring story faux pas's in this movie. It started off with an alien theme at Area 51. That was wierd enough, but then we find out that apparently during WW 2 Prof. Jones was a colonel in the US Army or something and was a spy of some kind. Ummm....based on the other movies that would have made him one of the oldest recruits to join up, unless he had some prior militray service in WW I but it isn't mentioned. So now he's a treasure-recovery expert, professor AND secret agent. Yeah, right.

It got worse...the ending was hoaky and not in the flavour of the other Indy films. The entire movie was based on an artefact of alien origin. I mean come on...half the reason those movies are so great is their relatable historical context. Adding an alien theme to Indiana Jones is like eating steak with ice cream!

They also killed off two of their best characters...Marcus Brody and Indy's father Dr. Jones Sr. Stating they died the previous year....so we lose that association right off the start of the movie as well.

The middle part of the movie was the most enjoyable...very Indiana-Jonesish and the banter with Shia LaBoeuf's character was pretty good.

Other than that, the movie was generally lack luster I found...take your least favorite Indiana Jones movie and this one will slide nicely somewhere below that.

Overall not what I would expect after 19 years of re-writes. Iron Man blows this movie out of the water, which is a shame since it's doubtful Harrison Ford will re-visit the character again. Though maybe that's a good thing...George Lucas has definately lost his touch!

Legion: TBD
BAsed on the young Indy series, he was in the Belgian Army during WWI. An officer by the end if I recollect as well.

That was the TV show that was out for 12-13 episodes years ago.

As for the rest, I expect disappointment.
Quote:They also killed off two of their best characters...Marcus Brody and Indy's father Dr. Jones Sr. Stating they died the previous year....so we lose that association right off the start of the movie as well.
To be fair, Denholm (Marcus Brody) Elliott is dead and Sean (Jones Sr.) Connery didn't want to do the movie! Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote: They also killed off two of their best characters...Marcus Brody and Indy's father Dr. Jones Sr.

Drinking from the Holy Grail did not give him eternal life then!!!

Rusty is quite correct Dr Jones Jr served in the Belgium army in WWI in 'The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles', which was a pretty good series. He basically met every known person of the day including Lawrence of Arabia, The Red Baron, Mata Hari and von Lettow Vorbeck.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Drinking from the Holy Grail did not give him eternal life then!!!

Graham.

Indeed it should not have given the logic the film set up. Jones Sr should have had to remain at the Grail "Castle" in order to enjoy the benefits. (Likewise Indiana, who also drank from the Grail, should not die)

Every benefit has a price, and Jones Sr's survival cost him his freedom of movement and saving his father's life cost Indiana contact with his father. On the up side they could have written in that the Grail "Castle" also had a library to rival that of Alexandria -- what could be closer to paradise to a scholar like Jones Sr than access to long lost works of history? So he gains his life and this access but can never leave or his wound will reopen and he will die.

But...

They wanted that shot of the group riding off into the sunset and they wanted to end on a happy note so once again style over substance.

As for the new film -- we are off to see it a noon today. I suspect it will be a hit with my grandson, though not as much as will be the Clone Wars film in August. :? wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:As for the new film -- we are off to see it a noon today. I suspect it will be a hit with my grandson, though not as much as will be the Clone Wars film in August. :? wink:
I found it entertaining, but not special. But is was made with care; the Technicolor colors at the beginning really added some sense that we were back in the fifties.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I did enjoy the movie. I went into it totally expecting everything to be a wink, nod, and homage to all the other Indy movies and series, as well as seeing bits of other (Lucas, Speilberg) movies.

Lots of these were funny and cleverly placed, others were blatantly obvious, and others were just throw ins, you could see them coming from miles away.

I too, wasn't crazy about his "military service" - but did not know that was seen in the miniseries (which I never got to watch unfortunately)

And the Aliens...Well... It was the farthest stretch of any of the Indy movies, fer sure....But so was surviving a nuclear blast from inside a refridgerator. :roll: But I had to miss the last few minutes as at 2 hours long, I had to go visit the can badly. Sad

I also went in understanding this was made "for the fans" (again, the 'nods and winks' to parts of the 3 movies)

All in all, I liked it...Sure, it could have been great...But up against the first three from 20 years ago...It's a hard bargain.
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:And the Aliens...Well... It was the farthest stretch of any of the Indy movies, fer sure....But so was surviving a nuclear blast from inside a refrigerator. :roll: But I had to miss the last few minutes as at 2 hours long, I had to go visit the can badly. Sad

Bro! You should have seen it here! With Roswell being just down the street, you get used to the Aliens. And what with nuclear weapons being invented here... I mean, everybody grows up surviving blasts in a refrigerator. Sounds more like a documentary to me. And things are very lax about where you go, so you would not have missed the last two minutes.

There are two things about Indy 4 though... it should stir up a few more hits on RAT, which is good. It is better to get your facts here on RAT which does have a good academic quality control. Indy 4 also should help fill up the Intro to Archeology classes. The bad news is will also invigorate the LaLa cult pseudo-sciences and the Indiana Jones wannabe types who will destroy or try to loot sites.

My wife was a graduate student studying Mayan archaeology when Indy 1 came out. She saw it with a group of other graduate students who were snickering and giggling so much they were asked by the theater management to put a lid on it or leave.

Edit: My wife saw it last night, and said it was "not that bad, taken as an adventure movie, but.. you know..."

R. Izard
who bought a cool Indiana J hat and now can't wear it until the hype wears off...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman era movie CYCLOPS Caution SPOILER jkaler48 3 1,238 01-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Last Post: rusty myers
  Indiana Jones trailer! Senovara 5 1,646 02-16-2008, 02:08 AM
Last Post: Marcus Cassius LegioXIV
  James Bond, Indiana Jones, Ellery McQueen Jona Lendering 7 3,261 02-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis