Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petrol price action
Pleased to see that everyone's keeping it within bounds of civility.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
P.S. To Byron and Jim- I do believe there are indeed two sides to every story. The truth is somewhere between your two accounts.
I used to work in the 'environmental industry'- waste disposal, recycling and environmental cleansing. I held middle positions both in the technical and sales departments (before being made redundant)
Some of the b*****t and propaganda trickled down from the government to the public and commercial sector surrounding some 'green policies' (stress- not all) would make your hair curl! Although that's not to say that private companies don't make a quick buck from it too. So I know where you're coming from.

Although that's another thread and another time :wink:
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Quote:Okay.

We're never gonna see eye to eye on this, obviously, and I've waffled enough so, like others, I've said my piece (and far more than I thought I ever would or perhaps should).

Same here Jim, and my real point was meant to be
'get out and give the truckers your support' which ended in a load of waffle too!

Quote:Some of the b*****t and propaganda trickled down from the government to the public and commercial sector surrounding some 'green policies' (stress- not all) would make your hair curl! Although that's not to say that private companies don't make a quick buck from it too. So I know where you're coming from.

Yes, sadly, there seems to have been quite a few who jump on the
environmental bandwagon for purely financial gain.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It's all relative. I am sure the oil companies think what they are doing is okay... however, the manipulation of the markets HAS caused people to be hurt and every day I see less and less owner-operators on the road. Every day, new businesses are in trouble because of this.

I don't have a solution other than a large trucker's strike ala the French -- theirs always seem to work. Here in the US it seems to be okay to make fun of the French, but, unlike American truck drivers (who are mostly pussies) the French drivers just do it -- they block things up and GET WHAT THEY WANT. Here, it's all talk and very little action.

If the "geniuses" who run our respective countries are not careful, we could end up w/ a world-wide depression again. Aiiiheeeee, no food for starving Africans when you need to keep it at home to live. No relief for tsunamis and earthquakes, etc. Yep, things WILL be tough.

And no, a simple fine won't be enough, unless it's absolutely huge (billions). The way to deter this is the good old Red Chinese method, take the offending scumbag out and shoot him right between the eyes -- do that a couple of times and it will subside. However, we're too "civilized" to do what's needed and in that, I see our doom. I know, I'm sounding wacky and harsh (Jenny said years ago that when I advocated crucifying terrorists).
My 2 silver pennies...
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
I recall years ago many of the smaller independants in Canada were forced out of business due to high licence and insurance costs, that only the bigger firms could afford.

Seems this is alway a problem when it comes to commercial practice.

The truck drivers here in the UK have been doing something but unfortunately the support the recieved the second time around did not materialise....hopefully they are getting better results this time.

And crucifying terrorists is not wacky, is it? :? ?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Pleased to see that everyone's keeping it within bounds of civility.

Why who are you to call us that?

You crazy Dutch Ba$%ard!

:wink:
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
What we REALLY need is for someone to finally get the stupid hydrogen vehicle going so we can say bugger off to oil dependence for the majority of transport; certianly vehicles that function on combustion like jets will still need petroleum fuels, so oil won't totally go the way of the dodo, and we still need it for plastics and other by-products, but overall it seriously needs to go SOON. To be honest, even if human-caused 'global warming' actually doesn't exist, I'm thrilled that it's becoming widely-accepted since its necessary response is reduction and eventual elimination of unnecessary burning of petroleum.

Now Byron you said that oil companies work maximally to produce fuels, but I don't honestly see how that can ever be possible; with the unbelievable profits they make, surely they can increase production by building new refineries to whatever level they choose to- but necessarily increased production affects price, which would be self-destructive, no? It's just as is suggested about the diamond industry- the suppliers buy everything they can and keep the supply low to keep the price high. Oil companies may not be actively restricting production except simply by not increasing it. What I figure is that to combat this clear conflict of interests, refining should be separate- federally-owned and run so that it can be increased as demand requires. Of course that'll never happen LOL

But this is really truly out of control- gasoline hit $1.46/L here yesterday and that's beyond disgusting, it's criminal.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Diesel is 1.32 UK pounds sterling here now. Cry What's that in dollars ?*

Mind you, I'm getting really fit from all this walking Big Grin

*Just checked, it's the equivalent of $2.65 (Canadian dollars) per litre here in the UK- or $2.57 US dollars per litre.
Friends of Letocetum
Diesel in Texas is over 4USD per gallon, or around 1USD per liter.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Diesel in Texas is over 4USD per gallon, or around 1USD per liter.

I'm coming over there to fill up the car. It'll probably still work out cheaper even with the airfare :roll: :lol:

The local shopkeepers have also raised the price of cheap cooking oil :evil:
Bah!
Friends of Letocetum
Quote:
M. Demetrius:2chgg6ql Wrote:Diesel in Texas is over 4USD per gallon, or around 1USD per liter.

I'm coming over there to fill up the car. It'll probably still work out cheaper even with the airfare :roll: :lol:

Bah!

:lol:

We're now shopping at Lidl. They have pork chops for about £1.40 and huge pies for £1. I'm not entirely convinced at that price they've come from pigs but they taste okay to me. Just making a mental note not to watch Sweeny Todd the whole time we're shopping there.
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Quote:
Memmia:3fu4yywr Wrote:
M. Demetrius:3fu4yywr Wrote:Diesel in Texas is over 4USD per gallon, or around 1USD per liter.

Bah!

We're now shopping at Lidl. They have pork chops for about £1.40 and huge pies for £1. I'm not entirely convinced at that price they've come from pigs but they taste okay to me. Just making a mental note not to watch Sweeny Todd the whole time we're shopping there.

I've always shopped at Lidl and Aldi even before the credit crunch/ fuel crisis etc just because I'm a tightwad :lol:

The cheap cooking oil was being used as a 'fuel additive' by some diesel owners as a means of 'making their fuel last a bit longer'.... not by me of course... 8)
Friends of Letocetum
Quote:
Libitina:3t1vhtjv Wrote:
Memmia:3t1vhtjv Wrote:
M. Demetrius:3t1vhtjv Wrote:Diesel in Texas is over 4USD per gallon, or around 1USD per liter.

Bah!

I've always shopped at Lidl and Aldi even before the credit crunch/ fuel crisis etc just because I'm a tightwad :lol:

The cheap cooking oil was being used as a 'fuel additive' by some diesel owners as a means of 'making their fuel last a bit longer'.... not by me of course... 8)

I remember reading about that a while back. Plus it was on It's Not Easy Being Green I think although they converted the car and paid the tax on the oil etc.
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Quote:Diesel is 1.32 UK pounds sterling here now. Cry What's that in dollars ?*

Mind you, I'm getting really fit from all this walking Big Grin

*Just checked, it's the equivalent of $2.65 (Canadian dollars) per litre here in the UK- or $2.57 US dollars per litre.

HOLY CRAP. I'd be inclined to say that I guess I don't have anything to complain about, but I do- you just have WAY MORE to complain about LOL
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Quote:

Now Byron you said that oil companies work maximally to produce fuels, but I don't honestly see how that can ever be possible; with the unbelievable profits they make, surely they can increase production by building new refineries to whatever level they choose to- but necessarily increased production affects price, which would be self-destructive, no? It's just as is suggested about the diamond industry- the suppliers buy everything they can and keep the supply low to keep the price high. Oil companies may not be actively restricting production except simply by not increasing it. What I figure is that to combat this clear conflict of interests, refining should be separate- federally-owned and run so that it can be increased as demand requires. Of course that'll never happen LOL

But this is really truly out of control- gasoline hit $1.46/L here yesterday and that's beyond disgusting, it's criminal.

Sorry Matt, but I disagree with concept that oil companies deliberately
restrict the production. An installation I am on is always being pushed for max production rates, despite the actual operating problems this causes...
I won't go too deeply into it, but trust me, reducing the amount we produce every day is an anathema to the oil companies and partners.
BTW it is the largest supplier of gas directly to the national grid as well.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Petrol to hydrogen conversions (HHO) Tarbicus 29 5,243 07-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar