Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek Mythology...? Clash of the Titans -- the Remake
New Teaser Trailer for the re-make of Clash Of The Titans -- from the same studio that brought us 300...

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-t ... itans.html

Interesting how everyone in the ancient world seems to fight like a Shochiku or Toho Studios Ninja, leaping and flying about and wearing their swords on their back...

:?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Yeah, I don't like the teaser. The main problem is the crap nu-metal music and the hyper-stylized fighting styles. However, I am willing to hold my judgment until the full trailer is released.

Now, my thoughts on CGI: I read a completely ignorant comment earlier in this thread that insinuated that effects created on the computer are not "artistic" and that computers "do everything for you." Such a notion is utterly ignorant and almost not worth my time responding, but I will. Computer aided design and modeling is 100% every bit as "artistic" as using any other medium, be it oil paints or paper maché. As many hours can be put into a high quality 3D model with hand-painted textures as can be put into any traditional medium. Yes, hand painted and hand modeled by a human being, but using a computer instead of modelers clay. There are so many techniques I don't even know where to begin. All I know is that the problem with CGI is not the CGI artist or the medium itself, but the directors and producers that use effects (no matter the medium) as a crutch instead of telling a well-crafted story. The film makers that best use CGI do so in a way to enhance the story and atmosphere of the movie, showing just enough to intrigue and to titillate. Those that use it badly allow the freedom of CGI to go to their heads.
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Quote:Fine. We should be made to eat a well-boiled joint of beef, cooked with carrots, parsnips, potatoes and fresh onions. Parsley, rosemary, peppercorns and red wine sauce for flavor. Happy now?
Why not tete de veau? Tastes great! Smile
[Image: tete.jpg]
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Exactly so Mythos Ruler, CGI is simply a tool, a very powerful one to be sure but a tool none the less. Lucas pushed the use of CGI a long way, and others have taken it further still, often to the point that you wonder if the film is truly live action or animation. However, that is a side issue -- if the story works, if it is well told then live action, animation, makes no difference to me. In the end it is all about the story telling. CGI is just another means to that end.

Compared to today's state of the art, the old Jason and the Argonauts may seem a bit creaky, but I still enjoy it -- immensely. So too my daughters and my grandson -- the hallmark of a well told tale.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Compared to today's state of the art, the old Jason and the Argonauts may seem a bit creaky, but I still enjoy it -- immensely. So too my daughters and my grandson -- the hallmark of a well told tale.

the sad thing is that some of this "old art" from these movies are more convincing then some modern CGI junk (see also the 1933 King Kong or the 1949 Mighty Joe Young!)
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Quote:
Quote:Compared to today's state of the art, the old Jason and the Argonauts may seem a bit creaky, but I still enjoy it -- immensely. So too my daughters and my grandson -- the hallmark of a well told tale.

the sad thing is that some of this "old art" from these movies are more convincing then some modern CGI junk (see also the 1933 King Kong or the 1949 Mighty Joe Young!)

I've seen many people say this, but I have to wonder if they have glaucoma. Stop motion more convincing? Absolutely not. More entertaining? Absolutely yes, and it had to do with storytelling and atmosphere. Recently I turned my 8 year old son onto The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad. I used to love it as a kid and so did he. He was frightened and excited at all the best parts, the same way that he reacts to Jurassic Park and Transformers. But as an adult, the latter two movies are 100x more "convincing" visually. But in the end, as he said, no matter what style of effects used as long as the storytelling is engaging it doesn't matter.
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  \"Ben-Hur\" remake emilio 1 1,301 08-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  I Claudius remake mcbishop 12 3,429 06-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Virilis
  Sequel Of The Titans -- The Latest News Narukami 1 888 07-30-2010, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Dithrambus