Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The last film you watched....
I just saw Marmoulak again. It's a mild, satirical movie from 2004 about a prisoner who manages to escape by dressing like a mullah. Later, he settles as a cleric in a village that happens to be waiting for a mullah; here, the convict's unorthodox pastoral approaches serve to change the village, and give it a new, better, spiritual life.

Not everyone will like the explicit moralism, but I like the movie, and the way it stresses that people can improve themselves.

(Youtube here)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Love "Ironclad". Recently been to Rochester on business and HAD to go and look at the Keep as a result. What an impressive castle it must have been in its hey day!

Moi!

Ironclad was a fairly good movie, the carnage not glossed over. And Brian Cox did a fine acting job, quite different than his portrayal in Troy.

Jona's film, Marmoulak, sounds interesting. I love foreign films, especially ones with a message. Check out Baran, a story of how a young Iranian wise-ass learns about compassion.

Two good ones from Korea:

War of the Arrows; the only movie I know of that deals almost exclusively with bow warfare... as a young Korean tries to save his sister who's been captured by the Chinese. Very accurate, and the actors were taught by the Korean School of Traditional Archery.

The Divine Weapon; the story of history's first rocket, taking place in 1432, again against the Chinese. Not exacty accurate in its plot line, but the divine weapons are incredibly impressive.

Both of these movies have sympathetic characters, well acted, and a good plot line. :grin:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Prometheus has been seen in 3D.... Confusedhock:
A bloody good entertaing sci-fi film.
Not baffled at the end...its just.....dont want to spoil it.
On the lookout for summit else now.
Kevin
Kevin
Just back from seeing Dark Knight Rising ...

This was a fun film. Like Dark Knight, this is a very bleak film, perhaps even more so, and the deaths of two characters are less than satisfying. However ...

There are many more good points to this film than not, and Nolan doesn't miss a beat. I am not a deeply committed Batman fan, but I enjoyed the film and think it a worthy conclusion to this trilogy.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Barely back a week and went to see Prometheus on Weds evening....and it was not showing....barely 3 weeks in the cinema??? WTF???
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Barely back a week and went to see Prometheus on Weds evening....and it was not showing....barely 3 weeks in the cinema??? WTF???

More than ever, Hollywood is a business of the "Quick and the Dead."

If your film hasn't 'got legs' past two weeks then the studios have bigger fish to fry so out you go. Little chance now for 'word of mouth' to take a film and turn it into a hit. Titanic did it that way - start with a small opening and build over time. Star Wars too for that matter, though it grew quite quickly, and in fact set the tone for what Hollywood is today.

That Lucas changed Hollywood seems quite clear. For good or ill ... that remains to be seen. :?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I went out and saw Dark Knight Rises. Two thumbs up.
Take what you want, and pay for it

-Spanish proverb
I rented Safe House last weekend and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I just can't get enough action, I guess! Big Grin
I saw Iron Sky last night. If you aren't familiar with it, the premise is that in 1945 defeated Nazis fled to the dark side of the moon where they constructed a base. They have been working on their space invasion fleet ever since, and in 2018 decide to attack Earth. The person to defend the earth, while simultaneously ensuring her re-election, is a Sarah Palin-esque US president.

I thought the trailer was hilarious, so I have been wanting to see this film for a long time. It has been billed as a comedy, but it isn't. Every joke in the film is in the trailer.

It does briefly touch upon other serious issues - American military aggression, foreign relations, racial hatred - but it doesn't develop them.

I wanted to like this movie. I really did. It is very low-budget, and I wanted to root for the plucky underdog and campy special effects. But in all honesty, this might be the worst film I have seen in fifteen years. Some bad movies can have a great charm all their own, but this thing was just simply awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_IndUbcxc
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Well, that's disappointing news on Iron Sky -- Thanks for your review. Sad

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
My wife and I just saw the Hobbit movie. I was shocked at how bad it was. The only redeeming feature I could find was the high frame rate. That was pretty cool, as was most of the scenery, but the plot, characterisation and acting were surprisingly terrible.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
To be honest, i found reading the Hobbit after the LOTR to be the same experience, many years ago!
Possibly not a surprise.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
We also saw the Hobbit. Some things were good, but the plot was confusing, since they added so much at the beginning about the dwarves, etc., that didn't seem familiar. I admit it has been quite some time since the book, but I don't remember Radagast the Brown being such a clownish wizard. Lots and lots of a line of dwarves + Bilbo + Gandalf running from one set of bad guys or another. It was good to see the LOTR guys again. It will be interesting to see what they do with the Part Two.

Before this, a few weeks ago, we saw Argo, and were on the edge of our seats most of the movie, even though we knew the outcome. I remember the real life events surrounding this movie, and it seemed pretty close to the facts, though there were a few changes for various reasons. Affleck did a convincing acting job for a change. It was very entertaining.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Just watched "Gettysburg"..bloody long but very enjoyable film....8 outa 10
Kevin
Kevin
After watching the trailer for "Iron sky" i'm really looking forward to seeing it.
Kevin
Kevin