Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spelling?
I read yesterday a professor of University College of London (John Wells?) proposes to abolish the spelling in English language, because the many problem it generate.

The problem is little mysterious to me, because in italian language like the spanish, the words are written exactly like we pronounce them (a part very few exceptions, memoryzed from the first grade school), so I never thought other languages can have this problem when spoken from mother language people.

For a mother language english is really so difficult made the spelling of some words? or it is a exaggeration of journalist?
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
I think this example sums up the problems. And I bless the Italians; if you can read it, you know how to pronounce it.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
:roll: Whut ever neckst? :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Too many different languages as root languages in English to establish any particular rules.

Rule #1: There are no spelling or grammar rules in the English language that have no exceptions except this one.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote::roll: Whut ever neckst? :lol:

That's a very intelligent way to spell. Text speak would have that at "wat evr nxt". Even my mum types "gud" for "good" in a text message which I HATE. To me it says gud, as in mud, not good.

Was the article referring to the way young people write words nowadays or just that it can be hard language to learn?
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Quote:Too many different languages as root languages in English to establish any particular rules.

Rule #1: There are no spelling or grammar rules in the English language that have no exceptions except this one.

:lol:

"i before e except after c" ..... except for science, vein, ancient and many others...
Kat x

Yep.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Personally I think it's crap. This whole concept just shows another facet of how lazy humans have become. I can remember taking actual spelling classes when I was in grade 1-3. To me it's an integral part of any language, it just takes some time and practice.

I think it if the written language degrades, it won't be long until the spoken language degrades more-so than it already has.

Legion: TBD
Quote:Personally I think it's crap. This whole concept just shows another facet of how lazy humans have become. I can remember taking actual spelling classes when I was in grade 1-3. To me it's an integral part of any language, it just takes some time and practice.

I think it if the written language degrades, it won't be long until the spoken language degrades more-so than it already has.

Strongly agree :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

I must add that modern schools encourage avoidance - and NOT only in spelling.

Kind regards
Hmmmm, I always wondered what they meant by 'Back to Basics'....
grunt like a cave man? sign language and the rest.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:3pa884gm Wrote::roll: Whut ever neckst? :lol:

That's a very intelligent way to spell. Text speak would have that at "wat evr nxt". Even my mum types "gud" for "good" in a text message which I HATE. To me it says gud, as in mud, not good.

Was the article referring to the way young people write words nowadays or just that it can be hard language to learn?

No he spoke of many errors found in curriculum vitae.
"Each historical fact needs to be considered, insofar as possible, no with hindsight and following abstract universal principles, but in the context of own proper age and environment" Aldo A. Settia

a.k.a Davide Dall\'Angelo

SISMA- Società Italiana per gli Studi Militari Antichi
The sad part comes from a shift in educational philosophy, at least in the US. I was in an informal writing class, and a High School English teacher told us with satisfaction that "...we don't worry about spelling and grammar any more, the students have computer programs to take care of that. We just want them to get their ideas on paper."

I said, being the perennial smartass, "Ok, so you're having trouble with your car motor. I come to your house with an acetylene torch and a sledge hammer. I say, 'Let's just open the motor up and see what the problem is.' Why do you stop me?"

She said, "Because you don't have the right tools."

I said, "Exactly right. And you're not giving your students the right tools, either. They will be literary cripples all their lives."

We weren't very good friends after that. Go figure.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Personally I think it's crap. This whole concept just shows another facet of how lazy humans have become. I can remember taking actual spelling classes when I was in grade 1-3. To me it's an integral part of any language, it just takes some time and practice.

My daughter has brought home spellings still for the past couple of years (she's 6). She has a test every friday and was writing them out last night. One was "knight" and I could hear her under her breath going "ker-nig-it". I was go proud of my Monty Python child :lol:

The trouble is spelling tests stop in the older classes so although we can all spell "dog" and "water" some of us struggle with anything longer Big Grin
Kat x

Quote:The trouble is spelling tests stop in the older classes so although we can all spell "dog" and "water" some of us struggle with anything longer Big Grin
I always thought it was rather unfair to criticize Dan Quayle for not being able to spell potato; the English language simply has a spelling system that depends on its past, not on usefulness. I would not be too harsh upon erroneous spelling. Had Quayle become president, he would have at least one point in common with the emperor Augustus.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I don't see why it can't be upgraded or modernized, to a point, but there's no requirement for kids these days (or adults) utilize grammar and spelling on the level of a caveman lol.

Legion: TBD