Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WW2 bomb explodes in Germany 17 injured
More info here.

Sadly, wars can be deadly years after they have finished. :?

"Luckily" there were no deads...
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Lucky nobodys was killed
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
Scary stuff. I wonder how much other unexploded ordinance there is lying around Europe.

Legion: TBD
probably more than will ever be known my uncle was always digging something up from the field every few year at least to the 80s
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
Lots. I know that the Dutch army ordnance disposal team still has a fulltime job just removing WW2 stuff. Some of it is still on the surface (found a 3" mortar bomb once) and some is in areas best left alone unless removal is necessary.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Apparently some of those huge 'mines' used in WW1 which blew trenches apart failed to detonate at the time. While some were later discovered and dismantled at least one was never found and is still there somewhere.
Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
The stuff is everywhere here.

A B24 came down near the village where I now live...I found an incendiary 2 weeks ago.

Worse is the 20mm Flak they used....deadly.....just a slight knock will set them off.

They were very very lucky there....especially the digger driver.
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

"What? this old Loculus? had it years dear."
"Vescere bracis meis" (eat my shorts)
Back in '74 I worked on a Scottish trawler. The English Channel bottom is littered with unexploded ordnance. The galley wall had a poster with pictures of what a trawl might bring up: Mines, torpedoes, artillery shells and lots of bombs. When bombers developed mechanical trouble and had to return to base, they couldn't land with bombs aboard so they just dropped them in the water. While I was there, a trawler brought up a torpedo and a couple of fools tried to pry off its brass nose to sell. It blew up on deck and improved the gene pool. My boat's skipper told me he once brought up a whole airplane. Had to cut the trawl loose rather than risk explosives aboard sinking his boat.
Pecunia non olet
Im afraid that this is a pretty common occurence...even here in Ireland,a "neutral" country during WW2.There was a case of an unexploded WW2 grenade being used as a football somewhere here if i recall correctly plus there are so many cases of pipe bombs etc being found as well.
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mary Beard bomb threat Epictetus 22 3,269 10-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Jordanicus
  Medieval reenactor injured by spear Dan Diffendale 4 1,436 07-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Jeroen Pelgrom