Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linothorax Pictures
Alas, it seems all our discussions might be fruitless, as after reviewing the original Russian-language thread in which this find was posted (through rough translation), it seems that the displayed cuirass is nothing more than a reconstruction. It did seem too good to be true.

I did manage to find some more images of the display, though:

http://www.antiquemilitaryhistory.com/i ... 8338_o.jpg

http://www.antiquemilitaryhistory.com/i ... 0423_5.jpg

And this is nonetheless a very important find, as scale armour is not commonly found in Thracian graves. Some pictures of the actual state of the find:

http://www.antiquemilitaryhistory.com/i ... C_0077.JPG

http://www.antiquemilitaryhistory.com/i ... C_0065.JPG
http://www.antiquemilitaryhistory.com/i ... C_0044.JPG
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Hi Ruben.......great photos,regardless of disappointment! Well done for finding and posting.

BTW, with reference to our earlier discussion of whether both iron and bronze scales are in use, image 65 seems to show both bronze ( green coloured) and iron ( rusty brown) scales on the original........
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Hi Ruben.......great photos,regardless of disappointment! Well done for finding and posting.

BTW, with reference to our earlier discussion of whether both iron and bronze scales are in use, image 65 seems to show both bronze ( green coloured) and iron ( rusty brown) scales on the original........

I noticed that myself, but I still don't think that there is any indication of bronze in those images of the reconstructed cuirass.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
So--those scales, like the gorget that surfaced on RAT a few months ago, are circular... about 2.5 cm or 1 inch--is that right? Does that look right to everyone else?

Alternating iron rows and bronze rows would look spectacular... but those don't look alternating, do they? They look as if there is a transition of some sort.

I prefer the new pics--it is, after all, still a leather backed scale thorax. The other, I'm afraid, looked far to good to be true (but oh, I wanted to believe!)

Any way for us to contact the archaeology team directly? I'm trying from this end. If Cuyler Young were still alive... (Director of the Royal Ontario Museum--Scythian and Persian cultural and material culture guy--splendid archaeologist and scholar...) and I'll probably fail.

C.
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
My question would be what did they base the reconstruction on? I'd like to see what they used for source material since some elements of this armor are bizarre.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
DISSAPOINTMENT Cry What's the point of making a reconstruction that seems so real? Why didn't they wrap it correctly then? And why didn't they polish it? I still don't want to believe...I had seen the original pictures with the scales in Sitalkes' file in the yahoo group. Didn't know they came from this find. And we sure see both irona nd bronze scales. No such indication on the reconstruction. Are you sure about the translation,Ruben?
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
I love the triple-serpent crest on the Italo-Attic helmet. I've never seen anything like it before. Are there other examples?
Pecunia non olet
This should be an original, at least that's what I have been told. It's dated mid 4. B.C. The picture has been taken in a museum at Crimea. Sadly I don't know any more details, maybe one of you guys knows anything more about it. It's clearly iron and bronze by the way :-) )
[Image: DC000042509.jpg]
[Image: DC000042507.jpg]
[Image: DC000042508.jpg]
Kallimachos a.k.a. Kurt

Athina Itonia
[Image: smallsun1.gif]
[url=http://www.hetairoi.de:4a9q46ao][/url]
That's an original, but AFAIK, it is just the scales, and no leather backing has been preserved.
Ruben

That one, I think, is the example from the Metropolitan Museum in New York....just the Tube, withe Yoke seemingly missing....

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Yes, Gioi...these pieces are from the 5th C BC Scythian Sem 'Bratiev barrow in the Kuban, which was mentioned earlier ( Dr Cernenko stated that it overlapped on the left side. - see previous posts) and yes, the scale is leather backed. Similar Scythian leather backed scale pieces also exist in the Ashmolean Museum Oxford, England, which I have seen.

The pieces in the Ashmolean came from a warrior burial near the Black sea city of Nymphaeum, to the east of the Crimea. The scales were sewn to a double thickness leather backing (probably sheep or goatskin) with rawhide thongs, and the edges were leather bound with calf-skin.The scales were work hardened to a Vickers hardness of 175.

The scale corselet in this case was decorated with a bronze elk's head, rather than the Gorgon in your picture.....

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site, but impressed with the wealth of knoledge and expertise shared. I've been a member of the hoplite association in the uk since 2001.

Can anyone please please tell me if and where this armour is on display.
I will book my tickets as soon as I find out.
Hi all, sorry to have been away for so long, new job in Victoria, I am now one of the classics and Histoy Teachers at Girton Grammar School In Bendigo.

The only really good evidence that I have come across is the above mentioned peice in the Ashmolean Museum, what looks like the end of the shoulder harness and yes it is scale on leather backing.

The next best bit of evidence I have come across is the as yet unpublished finds at the so called 'Thebean Arsenal' Rumour has it that there are finds of organic armour but I will wait until I see some evidnce before I pass judgment.

The Leather 'thing' above is in the Met in New York and the curators there have already indicated that they are unsure of its origin or age.
"History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again." Maya Angelou
Quote:The only really good evidence that I have come across is the above mentioned peice in the Ashmolean Museum, what looks like the end of the shoulder harness and yes it is scale on leather backing.

There are a few other pieces from Scythian finds, as well. They are all small, though, and most are very fragmentary.

Quote:The next best bit of evidence I have come across is the as yet unpublished finds at the so called 'Thebean Arsenal' Rumour has it that there are finds of organic armour but I will wait until I see some evidnce before I pass judgment.

Is this the Mycenaean-era one? I seem to recall some mention of a multi-layered linen fragment found at Thebes... Are you sure it's unpublished?

Quote:The Leather 'thing' above is in the Met in New York and the curators there have already indicated that they are unsure of its origin or age.

I agree entirely. The thing is unprovenanced and looks highly suspicious, especially because it is so much better preserved than any other leather finds that I am familiar with from the Crimea.
Ruben

Quote:Is this the Mycenaean-era one? I seem to recall some mention of a multi-layered linen fragment found at Thebes... Are you sure it's unpublished?
There are two extant finds of layered linen. One was at a Mycenaean grave shaft and was published some time ago. The other, more complete, example was recently found at Thebes and will not be published for some time.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books