Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructing a Roman fort wall video...Roman days Nijmegen
.............looking forward to it muchly.......take yr time and do a thorough job !! Smile D
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
English translation is ready, but need to be checked on grammar. So stay tuned (if someone would proof-read, please send me a PM Wink )

//edit: Found someone who's proofreading. Stay tuned for the text Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
With the kind help of M. Demetrius/David Wills the English translation is now avaliable for download:
[url:34bypv1n]http://www.romeinenfestival.nl/Portals/24/downloads/romanWallKopsPlateau.pdf[/url]

And the Dutch one:
[url:34bypv1n]http://www.romeinenfestival.nl/Portals/24/downloads/romeinseWalKopsPlateau.pdf[/url]

If you've any comments or questions, please feel free to ask, so we all can learn from this project!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Excellent article gentlemen -- thank you for your efforts.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
A deserved 100th laude!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Just watched the video, and was a little amused to hear Jasper mention Volkswagon and Audi in the same sentence! Tongue ?

What a great effort! I cannot believe you had to tear it all down again though! Confusedhock: :? What a shame and waste of effort and materials!

But also what agreat learning experience! Congratulations to all who took part, and I would give a laudes to all too if I could!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:What a great effort! I cannot believe you had to tear it all down again though! Confusedhock: :? What a shame and waste of effort and materials!

But also what agreat learning experience! Congratulations to all who took part, and I would give a laudes to all too if I could!

Yes, it was a great learning experience, and we can do it faster and easier next time. I also found it very fun to do, but I'm happy I can now do smaller projects again, as it is a lot of work! (not only the building of the structure, but a lot of planning, etc). But it was worth all the effort for sure. The folks had a nice view, we did something really special! The city is awake now, and know we can do something, etc. Afterall it was fun!

We used cheaper wood, so, yeas the whole project costs us a couple of 1000 euro's, but was a good pilot project of the real thing, which will cost a lot more money. (Oak is very expensive) and harder to work with.

Anyway, I hope we can permission to rebuilt it next time and we'll do our very best to rebuilt it then (and a bigger section, I hope)
ALA I BATAVORUM
And hopefully on a permanent basis! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:And hopefully on a permanent basis! Smile

yes, IF we gonna rebuilt it, it will be on a permanent basis! (and maybe can add a section every other year, at the festivals, including the so called 'home of Drusus')
ALA I BATAVORUM
...and the "101"st from me for a truly excellent article on 'Fort building 101' !! Smile lol: ....can't wait for future works on this project! Smile D
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Volkswagon and Audi
I did? I wonder why? Oh, wait, Jurjen, didn't we have an agreement with a certain German car manufacturer? :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:And hopefully on a permanent basis! Smile

I'll need to get some pictures up for all to see the Ninths base, more a marching camp, but a perminent one Wink haha.
Lucius Duccius Rufinus Aka Kevin Rhynas.

"Fortes fortuna adiuvat".
[url:10c24pem]http://www.ninthlegion.co.uk[/url]
[size=75:10c24pem](work in progress...)[/size]
Recently I've worked together with Alexander Schneider of the german Romercohorte Niederrhein/Legio XV primigenia on some graphics of the wall. Marc Sanders put these into a totally reworked version of the Roman fort wall video. Again in dutch, but certainly worth watching!

Enjoy!

[url:13rshvie]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raPvoVIccPk&feature=channel_page[/url]
ALA I BATAVORUM
I have just watched the video which I must say I did enjoy however I do understand that after fitting the Parapetboards the soil is taken from the ditch and put inside the wall structure, which would of course give strength to the finished wall and there may well be evidence of this having been done by the Romans.
I would think that yes there would have been an earth fill of the wood structure but would the spoil from the ditch not have been put on the outer edge of the ditch, for this is what we find with many forts and almost all of the wall ditch of Hadrians' Wall. This way an enemy could not just run up and thro' a plank across the ditch to get over easy, but would have to fight his way over a mound to even get near the ditch.
Brian Stobbs
Yes, I know of that feature you describe Brian, but this type of wall just get it strength from the earth that's in there, and it has been calculated that the earth from the ditch fits perfectly in the wall's interior. Not that this is a wooden structure instead of the stone one at the Wall. At least from a couple of finds from the Netherlands and Germany I know they suggest this building method and use of the earth from the ditch.

The only thing that's not exactly right is that of course the wall and the ditch would have been build at the same time and thus the earth would have less vertical transport overall, but that wasn't possible when we did these filming. But glad you liked it Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman marching fort near Chester nearer reality ParthianBow 17 7,536 07-02-2018, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner
  Roman Fort Reconstruction North America jkaler48 3 2,720 10-30-2017, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Scipio Severus
  GMU Roman Days VIDEO Roman Military History is 4 Me 0 726 10-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Roman Military History is 4 Me