Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which roman soldier would you have been? (Combatants)
Salvete omnes

Thanks for your thoughts on coming back to the eagles.

Well, even today the forces retain the right to recall those who have been demobilised ("demobbed"). I remember my father who was demobbed in 1945 spent much of the 1960s being concerned that the RAF would call him back. They would, though, not have waited until he was in his 60s.

Those who had started a farm or other business which was prospering would have feared being recalled. Those who had not made much progress in civilian life would have hoped to get the call-up demand, and return to the guaranteed food and lodging supplied by the army.

I agree that it seems unlikely that a ranker, with no command experience, would have made Centurion, at least not very quickly. He might be promoted to the next level above the one he held on discharge, perhaps.

Valete optime

Crispus
GAIUS MARCIUS CRISPUS AKA Bob
Well you could start out as a distingiushed veteran who got made optio then when you retired and got called back you could be promoted to centurio, then mabye the ninth loses some officers at the wall then nijmegin then the bar kochba revolts you get made primus pilus then when the ninth marches off never to heard from again you got sick and had to stay at the fort. When you recover you retire from you position and automatically get membership in the eqeustrian class Smile
Salve Thomas

Yes, I go along with that. Troops were often away from the main unit, posted elsewhere for whatever reason, and so missed a major encounter.

If the major encounter was particularly costly in officer grades, those returning from postings would have been immediately called on to fill vacancies.

Guess I just need to make it at least to optio Spes before I retire and get called back.

Vale optime

Crispus
I think that I would have liked to be a legionary who helped to build Hadrians' Wall, then when the job was done buggered off back to Eboracum and left the Auxilieries to get on with the manning of it.
Brian Stobbs
Salve

Nice pub in Eboracum with roman bath, featuring LEGVIIIIHISP underneath.

Vale optime

Crispus
Quote:Salve

Nice pub in Eboracum with roman bath, featuring LEGVIIIIHISP underneath.

Vale optime

Crispus

Things changed a few years ago, its the the VI there now.We worked with them for Cancer Research last month.

http://www.geocities.com/romanbathmuseu ... istory.htm

VIIII moved and are based down Stonegate not far from the Minister if you are looking for them.

Its my understanding the baths are from a later period for both legions, but its still worth a visit if you are in the city.
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

[Image: Peditum3.jpg]
Salve Longe

Thanks for that - a good update.

Interesting how they are developing what was a lot more basic when I was last there about 5 years ago.

Quite right that VI VICTRIX should have replaced VIIII HISP.

What a clever idea to have the meeting place at a pub over the roman bath. They seem to be doing a lot more to popularise, communicate and educate, so well done to them all.

Do you know any more about the other place where the Ninth have gone off to?

Vale optime

Crispus
Quote:Salve Longe

Thanks for that - a good update.

Interesting how they are developing what was a lot more basic when I was last there about 5 years ago.

Quite right that VI VICTRIX should have replaced VIIII HISP.

What a clever idea to have the meeting place at a pub over the roman bath. They seem to be doing a lot more to popularise, communicate and educate, so well done to them all.

Do you know any more about the other place where the Ninth have gone off to?

Vale optime

Crispus

We must be off topic?
The Armoury
29 Stonegate
Fasta Ambrosius Longus
John

We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

[Image: Peditum3.jpg]
Yes, perhaps it is becoming more about archaelogy, its just that this is where I got interested in LEGIXHISP, the soldier I would have liked to have been.

Thanks again for posting the lynx.

Vale optime
Crispus
I think some one said they wound up in Siria, but that's an awful long way from York.
Brian Stobbs
Probably one of those soldiers who got a special task in Jerusalem, for which they had to go under-cover and kit up like locals and finally got killed because they were so stupid to continu wearing their Caligae.
ALA I BATAVORUM