Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to portray a Spartan king from the classical era?
Most scholars tend to regard the Skiritans as perioikoi because they had Arcadian origins but there were hommioi in the area.

At Plateai the Spartans send an anusualy big complement of Homioi hoplites but kept enough back home to check the helots and do not forget Leotychidas expeditionary force with the fleet at the same period.

A Hypomeion might have save himself with a marriage an perhaps a Neodamodes too. Not al familioes got sons or not all sons reavhed adult age.

Kind regards
Here is another mod of the game Rome Total War, its called Hegemonia Total War:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=259089

It came back into existance and is aiming to portray the Greek units as Historically as possible, information is also given from Nikos Pannos which helps which the accuracy.

So anyone see any parts which aren't right since any Historical advice is appreciated, we know the Argive Epileptikoi outer rim from the Spartan royal shield which has to be replaced. The Skiritai would also seem better if they were more of a Peltast force since now they are heavilly armoured for a elite light unit or were they truelly this armoured before they fought as Hoplites?

Here is one of the greater looking units:

[Image: argeiosdioikitis.jpg]
"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." -Thermopylae

Peter
Very nice looking images but very questionable historical accuracy.
Remember the aim of the game is sales through impression NOT historical accuracy.
As I say if the have their own opinion why bother to check?
Setting up a shield device arbitrarily from a few coins is a mistake.
Kind regards
Well this is not really a game, its people who are playing the game and love history which are changing everything of the game to make it more fun, and they are aiming for a Historically accurate game. And they do it for free with nothing to gain, but a great game. Tongue

Which is why they asked for advice on how to inprove that.

Yes it is, like the Thespian coin, it more likely ment the crescent as symbol of Thespia and the Boeotian shield as symbol of Boeotia, things like that are always hard. But they didn't went for the black Thespians:

[Image: thespianhoplitehistoric.jpg][Image: w344.png]

Though without using coins it would be very hard to represent some cities Hoplites.

And Nikos Pannos is also helping them, he also gave the outer rims and red rooster on white background for the Spartan Mora shields which I've never seen before. :|
"Go and tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie." -Thermopylae

Peter
One artist drew a "black" Thespian and the whole world "bought it"!

The safe bet based on the hoplitodormy Hydria is black background and a white cresent with a variation of 2 or 4 red cressents.
A Thespian hoplite might have the emblem as depicted there but thats too much of a "personal emblem".
Kind regards.
Yes, bit weird that everyone would just buy it. I used to as well untill you guys here showed there is no proof for it. We should rather honour them as they were. And isn't a member of your group using a black boeotian should with a white crescent?

I see, so you would have a black shield (standard bronze outer rims? ), a white crescent, and two or four smaller red crescents around it?

Well thanks for the correction, any advice is appreciated for the mod. :mrgreen:

Peter
Quote:... I've read somewhere that the Thespians as black coloured soldiers isn't accurate, is this really true? (Following picture not being accurate?):

[Image: picture.php?albumid=260&pictureid=20819]

This picture is from this book which I have in my possession, Peter:

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=25893">viewtopic.php?f=39&t=25893<!-- l (Thermopylae 480[size=85:19mbmxw8]BC[/size]) where I tried to get a discussion going

It has an accompanying volume which is also interesting:

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=39&p=246222#p246222">viewtopic.php?f=39&p=246222#p246222<!-- l (Marathon 490[size=85:19mbmxw8]BC[/size])

Both have been produced by Greek authors/academics who presumably have researched their topics well. I'm wondering what Stefanos and everybody else thinks about these books (which are similar in size and layout to Osprey books) produced by Periscopio Publications. I found them to be very interesting but cannot say for certain how accurate they are.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
The is NOT a thread of evidence of an "exclusivelly black uniformed thespian unit"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Some of the them might have black crest cloacks or chiton but NOT all of them.
Some artist sold the story andc the whole world bought it! (black is sexy :twisted: )

The onlý uniformly black colour was the majority of the Thespian sheilds where a white cresent was painted on a black background (based on Munich Muserum examples)
see it here: http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia ... mpic-Games

But there were variations of red cresents or cresents painted on bronze like in attachment.

Kind regards