Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek Hoplite groups
Tib,<br>
To answer your questions,<br>
I believe their hoplite sword is quite acceptable. It is the classic form, and has a real forged medial ridge in the blade as many did, and as do their Roman daggers. I'd like to offer an alternate version with iron/bone composite grip and chape as seen in Connolly.<br>
The first linen cuirass they did was great, an exact copy of the one I supplied. Then, they seem to have forgotten how they made it , and now the shoulder doubling is completely wrong, two "flaps" instead of a single piece. This was pointed out and hopefully corrected now.<br>
<br>
The muscle cuirass is indeed a bit odd. Regrettably, they made this die without my input, and it is doubtful they will change it. It is possible to reduce the size some, and make other minor changes. If we can talk them into a smaller size version, we will try to get the musculature a little better. I have a very good one, made by Tony Feldon for Dr. Junkelmann, which would be a good model. It is now in the Rome exhibition.<br>
<br>
Yes, deepeeka is very interested in expanding the Greek line further. They tell me that the prototype of a full size metal and wood hoplon is ready (specs from the vatican original), there is a brass lamellar cuirass, and even a Mycenean figure 8 shield is in the works. There is already a nice Chaldician helmet, and very soon, an earlier, classic Corinthian helmet. The greek spear is nice, just like in Connolly with cast brass butt spike. Oh, and they even started a Dendra Panalopy, and probably a boar's tusk helmet, with convincing tusks of polished camel bone.<br>
<br>
Dan<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Well, OK, a couple of points.<br>
<br>
<br>
First of all, in response to JRSCline’s post of “They should be recruiting rugby players…â€ÂÂ
Tib:<br>
That Deepeeka muscle cuirass looks to me like a Renaissance piece, when Renaissance armorers were making "classical" parade armor in imitation of the newly rediscovered Greek and Roman art works. The Charles V armor in the Armeria Real in Madrid is of this type, complete with metal pteryges, iron military boots, lion-face pauldrons and a pseudo-Corinthian helmet to go with the muscle cuirass.<br>
I believe Legion Armory will do an alteration on the Deepeeka cuirass to make it a bit more classical. <p></p><i></i>