Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Famous Vergina "Sarissa Head" Metal Composition
I am reading over a few articles on the sarissa at the moment (mostly those by Markle, Connolly, and Sekunda), and much of the discussion centres around the now-famous "Andronikos" "sarissa" components and whether they did indeed belong to a sarissa or not. These were the fittings found outside a tomb in the necropolis at Vergina that included a half-a-metre-long leaf-shaped head, a coupling sleeve, and a huge four-flanged spiked butt.

Now, I've run into some confusion on one matter in particular. Both Markle and Connolly mention that all the fittings, including the head, are made of iron, but Sekunda states that it was bronze, and uses this as one point to support his argument that this spear was actually a ceremonial weapon. A few different spearheads have been found at Vergina, but all three authors attest to this particular head weighing 1.235 kg, far too exact a number to be a coincidence. The problem is that every image I've seen of the fittings has been a line drawing, so I can't deduce myself what material it is composed of. Does anyone have photographs of this "sarissa head," or can they attest to the metal it is made out of?
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Whilst I am currently away from home and so can't shed any light on this, one might expect that the Head would be iron and the butt bronze, whilst the sleeve could be either......could it be that both are partially correct?
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Hi Ruben,

I have the excellent “coffee table” book of the “Alexander The Great: Treasures from an Epic Era of Hellenism” exhibition at the Onassis Centre (NYC) some five years back. It is replete with colour photographs of all the items that toured in that exhibition. Amongst those items are the “sarissa” head, sauroter and sleeve – as well as seven other points from the Royal tombs.

Unfortunately my scanner is kaput so you’ll have to make do with my photo of a photo (on your email).

Briefly, there is a photo of the three items which is clearly labeled “point, sauroter and connecting socket of a sarissa”. It then states that they are all iron. To the eye they definitely look iron and they look no different to the other seven iron points.

Thanks for the article. I did question the bronze description when reading it. I do not disagree with claim that ash was likely the wood for the shaft or much of the rest of his argument.
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
Thanks very much for the photograph, Michael. As I suspected, Sekunda was mistaken and the head, as with the other components, is iron. That's unusual for Sekunda, who is usually pretty meticulous with his scholarship. Nonetheless, it doesn't really impact his argument much, so no harm done!
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Does make you wonder though....
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
Ruben and Michael,

If either of you want Andronikos's BCH paper (its in French), just drop me an email. He labels all four-2 points, 1 sauroter, and 1 sleeve- as "fer" or iron.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Why's it in French then?

Mind your own business silly English history types! Now, go away before I publish in another language!
Paralus|Michael Park

Academia.edu
Quote:Why's it in French then?

It reeks of elderberries too!
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
And its author was a hampster!
Paralus|Michael Park

Academia.edu
It has a detailed description of the Macedonian Boeoboloi though.
Paul M. Bardunias

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vergina Cuirass - Measurements rocktupac 20 5,123 08-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,899 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite
  Vergina tomb artifacts may have belonged to Alexander Theodosius the Great 27 8,701 05-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Kallimachos