Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
shield construction display piece
In most of the books describing the layered construction of a shields, they show these nice 'exploded-view' drawings. These pictures where you can see all the parts and every fase of construction in just one piece. I thought it would be nice to make such a piece for educational purposes, with the top completed and the bottom just started, so to speak.

It's a copy of one of the finds from the Netherlands, were the umbo and shield rim were found. The shield edge are still to be attached, and is as close to the original remains as I could get it (although in the original find only half this piece was found). Also some paint should be added to the rawhide. Still to come is the handle with will be not attached to it (as it is on the back side) but will be displayed next to it, together with all the materials used (bulls hide glue, wood, linen, rawhide, casein paint).

[Image: DSC07194.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
You have been a busy man lately!

Great idea! One worth stealing one day! :twisted:
I've thought of making a sample like that, for the simple reason that people could handle it and perhaps better understand how a shield was made. Good job. The one I have in mind won't have a boss, but will have edging, probably metal, maybe rawhide, maybe both. Like the upper quadrant of a Republic scutum, for example.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
And just finished the edge. I was thinking about doing a piece of raw-hide edge on this, but as the cover is in Rawhide and you can see a raw-hide edge on other shields we bring, I just put on a brass one.

[Image: DSC07198.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
You get a laudes from me Jurjen, great idea and great work!

Legion: TBD
And from me, not just for this, but for your several recent projects. I'd be honored to be part of one of your group's events. Not likely that I'll get to North Europe, though, sadly.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thanks guys. Your kind words always inspire me to make more and show them here.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Okay, I though it would be nice to post one other picture, as I just received the handle that goes with this display. It's a germanic shield handle from first century, found at Empel-De werf, the Netherlands in tinned bronze (as the original).

Here you can see the shield with some hide-glue, wooden strips, raw-hide piece, handle and umbo.

[Image: DSC07199.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Nice handle, and great idea with that display scuta.
Where did you get the handle from?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Nice handle, and great idea with that display scuta.
Where did you get the handle from?

The handle was made by Daniyal. I'm think Adrian can supply them for you if you ask.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Shield construction Nic 3 1,281 02-22-2020, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Nic
  Auxillia Shield strips construction project jkaler48 1 1,294 07-05-2008, 06:57 AM
Last Post: Magnus