Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some advice on hoplite clothing please
Mosr people are inclined to belive that armguards did not exist in the Classical Era.
A view that I do not share.

Although the armlet that Paul posted is on the shield arm and probaly some jewelry in my opinion.

Kind regards
Regarding the Bronze Age, are you thinking of the Warrior Vase?
[Image: MycWarrior2.jpg]
Matt Amt's Warrior Vase impression
I have no idea how long the style lasted.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
This is me at a multi - period event , I was a Guest of the Spartan Society . I have to resort to a " Tunic " because of the Tatoos and I wear Vambraces which as I said or no good . I would carry on wearing the " Tunic " if I could solve the problem of the Forearms , But If a long sleeved Chiton allowed then I will go with that .

Julius .
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
Julius,

The big question would be what impression are you aiming for? While there are some stylistic similarities to the gear over the period, a hoplite of 500BCE will look quite different from a hoplite of 400 BCE, and so forth.

So what are you aiming for?

Have fun!
Cole
Cole
I was hoping for an impression naround 500 ish , but as its only for schools its not massivley important . The kit in the pic wasnt mine except for the Corinthian and the greaves .

Julius .
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
Quote:Although the armlet that Paul posted is on the shield arm and probaly some jewelry in my opinion.

I agree, it must be mostly decorative to be under the aspis. Have you seen anything like this type of armlet?

On a related note, I've always been amazed that we don't see more forearm guards or at least wrist-bands to keep the sweat of the arm off the hand. Perhaps if they almost always held the dory overhand this was not needed.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Julius,

First off, Late Archaic, good stuff! The more the merrier, and then off to Marathon! Where are you located?

On the impression, to my mind if you're interpreting the public you have to be even more rigourous in your impression. Its going to be the schoolkid who says, "Hey, why are you wearing sleeves when no one else has any?" Then you will be in the tricky situation of having to say your impression isn't accurate, which reduces your cred Sad

I'm a big believer in period solutions to non-period problems, as it gives you something period to talk about as opposed to explaining away a problem,

You do have a couple of options available to you.

- A properly made chiton can cover the top of the shoulders.
- Handwraps will cover your forearms, and are a staple of pankration fighters of the period.
- A Chlamys worn behind the shield is also frequently depicted on vases, and takes care of the left arm.

All that's left at that point is the right upper arm thats a problem. A decorative armband as Paul posted is a possible solution depending on location of your tattoos.

Finally, I'll say right now that this last option is not uncontroversial, but does make for good interpretation. Invest in a bell corselet, vambrace, upper arm armour, and thigh armour frequently depicted in the period. While some here will argue that these are archaisms, 21st century scholarly thought is that there is no deliberative archaizing in vase art. Plutarch also tells us in the Life of Aristides that at the battle of Plataea in 479 the Spartans were more heavily armoured than other greeks, and could not move as quickly. The terminus for finds of this kind of armour is also around 480. So its possible that at least the Spartans were still wearing it around 500 BCE.

Whatever the case may be, It gives you a good talking point on the armour of the period and the questions surrounding it.

Have fun!
Cole
Cole
Paul,

On the topic of sweat, its something that I've found to be more a question of fiction rather than reality. The grip of my sword/musket/spear has never become slippery with sweat, despite my perspiring.

Have fun!
Cole
Cole
Cole ,

Thanks for taking the time to write that info down , there are some good options to consider . Iam located in the North of the U.K. and Marathon could be a possibility , I will have to see though .

Do you have a picture of the wraps you have mentioned , I think I know what you mean but want to be sure .

Thanks again mate ,

Julius .
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
My pleasure!

Here's a few of handwrap pics...

http://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/xdb/ASP/rec ... ount=3&id= {DB60AC83-7BA5-4D05-B2CF-065EC54B955E}&returnPage=&start=0

http://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/xdb/ASP/rec ... ount=7&id= {A708E8B6-CCFB-4DC2-879F-5FA0912FFE85}&fileName=IMAGES200%2FFR02%2FCVA%2EFR02%2E085%2E1%2F&returnPage=&start=0

http://www.beazley.ox.ac.uk/xdb/ASP/rec ... unt=11&id= {8D83D3B6-11B9-4EE3-BA56-3809026852C0}&fileName=IMAGES100%2F205%2F205073%2EB%2F&returnPage=&start=0

But if you go on the Beazley archive you'll find even more under Boxer, Boxers, and Boxing.

Have fun!
Cole
Cole
Thanks again Cole .

Julius .
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,816 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite