Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Cavalry saddles
I was just reading one of Jack Whyte's terrific works of historical fiction, The Lance Thrower. In the foreward, he stated that the stirruped saddle was generally believed to have been introduced to Western Europe by the Franks. I had previously read in other sources, that the Arab peoples had used the stirruped saddles first, and they came to Europe via trade. Others believe that the Franks may have gotten them from Asians. So, my questions are:

1) Who first used saddles with stirrups?
2) Who introduced them to Europe?
3) Did the Roman Army use them, and if so, when?

Thanks to all who can contribute any insights.
Victoria
I love the name of honor more than I fear death. Julius Caesar
Quote:I was just reading one of Jack Whyte's terrific works of historical fiction, The Lance Thrower. In the foreward, he stated that the stirruped saddle was generally believed to have been introduced to Western Europe by the Franks. I had previously read in other sources, that the Arab peoples had used the stirruped saddles first, and they came to Europe via trade. Others believe that the Franks may have gotten them from Asians. So, my questions are:

1) Who first used saddles with stirrups?
2) Who introduced them to Europe?
3) Did the Roman Army use them, and if so, when?

Thanks to all who can contribute any insights.

Do a RAT search on stirrups ... this is a good place to start...link from old RAT

Mr Whyte makes a LOT of errors in his Camulod series ( I like the first five but I think he really shouldn't have bothered after 'Uther')....but then they are works of fiction.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Thank you for the link. I will definitely check it out.

There were a few in the Camulod series that I didn't like either, but I am finding The Lance Thrower very intersting. If you have time to discuss them, would you mind telling me about some of the major errors in his books - were there some general things?

Thanks
Victoria
I love the name of honor more than I fear death. Julius Caesar
Quote:Thank you for the link. I will definitely check it out.

There were a few in the Camulod series that I didn't like either, but I am finding The Lance Thrower very intersting. If you have time to discuss them, would you mind telling me about some of the major errors in his books - were there some general things?

Thanks

Get yourself over to www.camulod.com and then look back through the posts listed under 'Old Forum'. There used to be a lot of discussion on the old forum, not so much on the new one.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Saddles and Usage Ron Andrea 23 4,543 11-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar