Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project: from homo computeris to Olympic Athlete
Quote:
Tiberius Clodius Corvinus:1esvt7rt Wrote:... I remember a documentary (which name I can't recall, alas) about gladiators, where it was said, that these guys actually were a little bit overweight, because of the "protective" function of body fat. :?
The documentary was based on this research, as far as I recall.
thanks for digging it up ... I think the according documentary's name was "Der Friedhof der Gladiatoren" (lit. cemetery of gladiators).

Quote:Actually there is little iconographic evidence for overweight Gladiators.
Maybe because of artists presenting often a more aesthetic ideal than reality ? :? .. Also being overweight (if within certain limits of course) mustn't necessarily translate into a couch-potatoe-like shape.

Quote:Also a good cardio workout is working at the phalus in mock combat.
lol Smile
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Quote:
Olaf:yj4yownz Wrote:Actually there is little iconographic evidence for overweight Gladiators.
Maybe because of artists presenting often a more aesthetic ideal than reality ? :? .. Also being overweight (if within certain limits of course) mustn't necessarily translate into a couch-potatoe-like shape.

Agree.

Most of excavated bones of gladiators that I saw or read about are said to be big, marks left by ligaments are deep,which indicate big muscles,how much fat went over that, no one can know...Ripped large men are very hard to see even today,so I agree that artists probably did not always present accurate images..My vision is something more or less like today strongmen or powerlifters. There is muscle but there is fat in good amount as well.

And yes, certainly as there were many types of gladiators, their size varied to fit their role.And they came in all sizes and shapes.

All best
Aleksandar Nikic

????? ?????? ???? ??????????? ?????????? ? ???? .....
..said the 143 kg stone,for a testimony of still unseen feat of strenght.
Quote:Also being overweight (if within certain limits of course) mustn't necessarily translate into a couch-potatoe-like shape.
Think "Farnese Hercules"? Smile
[Image: 384px-Napoli_Museo_Archeologico_Ercole_Farnese.jpg]
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I agree about some iconographic evidence beeing idealized, but I am not talking about statues of greek athletes and gods here.
Gladiators were depicted quite differently, though the artistic fashions of the different centurys undoubtedly had an influence.
Comparing them to todays powerlifters and strongmen seems a bit to extreme, as both disciplins focus more on raw strength and lack (comperativly) in endurance and agility.
I would rather compare gladiators to the fighting sportsmen of today.
Most probably Boxers and MMA Fighters of middleweight to heavy weight classes.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
Quote:I agree about some iconographic evidence beeing idealized, but I am not talking about statues of greek athletes and gods here.
Gladiators were depicted quite differently, though the artistic fashions of the different centurys undoubtedly had an influence.
Comparing them to todays powerlifters and strongmen seems a bit to extreme, as both disciplins focus more on raw strength and lack (comperativly) in endurance and agility.
I would rather compare gladiators to the fighting sportsmen of today.
Most probably Boxers and MMA Fighters of middleweight to heavy weight classes.

Highlighted I think says it all.

My point was on the muscle-fat ratio,or looks. Not discipline itself as PL is closer to me than boxing I used PL..But I agree, maybe heavyweight boxer is better comparison. But not to go into details,it is not that important.

All best
Aleksandar Nikic

????? ?????? ???? ??????????? ?????????? ? ???? .....
..said the 143 kg stone,for a testimony of still unseen feat of strenght.
This is not about physical appearance, diet or training, but deals with something just as important. I always thought it was a good quote.

Quote:You want to win at the Olympics? So do I – who doesn’t? It is a glorious achievement; but reflect on what’s entailed both now and later on before committing to it. You have to submit to discipline, maintain a strict diet, abstain from rich foods, exercise under compulsion at set times in weather hot and cold, refrain from drinking water or wine whenever you want – in short, you have to hand yourself over to your trainer as if he were our doctor. And then there are digging contests to endure, and times when you will dislocate your wrist, turn your ankle, swallow quantities of sand, be whipped – and end up losing all the same. Consider all this, and if you still want to, then give athletics a go.

Epictetus, Enchiridion, 29.2-3

Of course, he is using this example to explain to his students how difficult it can be to practise philosophy, but the quote can still stand by itself, I think.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
any news on this? Smile
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Charioteer - highest paid athlete in history Epictetus 1 1,618 09-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest