Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curious Celtic Rider
Found this iconography, and I'm very puzzled.

It's probably a fragmnet of a lucerna lamp, but dunno where it come from and wich time is dated.

Second... WHY the sword is suspended on the LEFT?

[Image: fg_48_7032.jpg]
Gioal Canestrelli "Caturix"

- www.evropantiqva.org -
I've never seen it before, but it looks cool Confusedhock:

As for the sword being suspended on the left side, I wonder if that was a custom that varied from region to region?
Jonathan

"Fortune favors the bold"
Quote:Found this iconography, and I'm very puzzled.

It's probably a fragmnet of a lucerna lamp, but dunno where it come from and wich time is dated.

Second... WHY the sword is suspended on the LEFT?

[Image: fg_48_7032.jpg]

I don't have the information at hand right now, but this is IIRC a 1st c. AD moulded lamp from somewhere in northern or central Europe. As for the sword being worn on the left, I don't think that it was a hard or fast rule, and we see Celts wearing swords on the left occasionally in art.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
If you're right-handed, wouldn't it be easier to pull the sword out with it suspended on the left?

Seems like if it were on the right, you'd have to flip the sword over in your hand in order to to get it right-side-up.
Latene D from the Magdalensberg in Carinthia, Austria.

You can find a bigger image in :"Kelten - Bilder ihrer Kultur" from Helmut Birkhan, Verlag der österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, ISBN 3-7001-2814-2, site 211, object 275, German-English-Edition. If you like I can sent you a scan of the image.

Maybe he (Celt, Germanic, whatever) is wearing the sword at the right because he is a rider?

Stephan
Stephan Eitler
WAR CHUNNI ( http://www.awaren.net )
et
ERGASTERION BOSPOROU ( https://www.facebook.com/GensDanubiusEtP...us?fref=ts )
et
HETAIROI ( www.hetairoi.de )
There is of course the idea that the artist may simply be alluding to the fact that the rider is wearing a sword for the direction of travel is to the left and it would not be shown otherwise.
Brian Stobbs
Here's a warped thought.

How do we know he was a "curious Celtic rider?"
Perhaps he was a dullard and never questioned anything. :lol:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  REALLY curious thing about the Caetra shield Caturix 15 5,311 03-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Thersites
  Sassanian rider bachmat66 52 18,426 11-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Roxofarnes