Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centurio Tombstone, Turin Italy
Is it a fair statement to say that plain musculata is more Greek whereas decorated is more Roman at least based on sculpture? All the Roman sculptures I have seen have some decoration with the exception of what is seen on Trajan's Column. In the new book by Sumner and D'Amato, it is claimed that the musculata in that book is one of the first published Roman musculatas. If that musculata is Roman, then if they were always decorated or not can be answered since that one is plain. Has anyone also noticed that D'Amato says that the musculata is 1st C AD onwards but the little white paper captions seems to suggest 4th -5th C BC?
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:And, any known musculata sculptures/statues that hint at gold leaf decoration?
Painted sculpture has really good evidence, including some that still has paint. Gold leaf will stick to paint. No, I can't think of any sculptures that "hint" at gold leaf, and not that many that actually still have paint that doesn't take forensics to find the paint. If any were, seems likely that would have been removed if it were found, though. FTR, I didn't say it HAD gold leaf. Just that it would be possible.

So, again, how large/small is this particular sculpture?

Also, just because the caption at the museum says this is a centurion doesn't necessarily mean it is a centurion. There are plenty of mislabeled artifacts.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I agree David that there are many mislabeled artifacts and such at museums. Maybe the person who was writing the museum caption saw the sword on the mans left and thus assumed a centurion.

It would be interesting to find out if this particular stone had something written underneath suggesting a centurion. Mistakes do occur in many things. However, the fact that D'Amato states that this man is a centurion, and the museum says the same thing suggests two things: 1)There is evidence to suggest that this man is a centurion and the evidence is not visible on the photo 2)Poor research on the part of the museum and D'Amato who is just regurgitating what the museum wrote without proper analysis.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Like spear butts labeled as Ballista bolt heads.......
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Turin AD312 Nathan Ross 10 2,583 11-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Last Post: Urselius
  New CLASSIS-soldier (!!) tombstone discovered in Italy Luca 124 30,481 02-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Quintus Julius Furius