Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet design technique Querie
Intentional patinizing has been used a lot in Antiquity. Most Bronze statues have been patinized originally. An in-depth study was made for the findings from the shipwreck from Mahdia:
[url:1wcp4k2h]http://www.deguwa.org/?id=40[/url]
Matt: With niello you can actually make a super-thin "film" on metal as well. Must not necessarily be used to fill sthg.
In fact my first tries with Niello ended up like that, instead of filling the holes as it was supposed to... ^^
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
That is a veery interesting article. Why do they not link it to Crassus,Pompey or Caesar I wonder.

I'm afraid I did not see any mention of the actual technique used to achieve a black patinization, I must be missing something there?
Very interesting article though, the divers must have thought their dreams had come true. :o
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hi!
No, the patinizing is not mentioned, but there are literature-links... Smile
All German, though....

Just so that you know how the found out that the statues were patinized (I am lucky owner of the publication):

The statues had the same patina in places where it could not have been, had it come from natural causes. e.g. under the inlayed silver-nipples was the identical patina as on the rest of the piece. So they made a metallurgical and microscopical analysis, and it turned out that the pieces were patinized intentionally. They also say sthg. about the techniques used etc. Different colour tones could be achieved.
Christian K.

That is what I am looking for for sure! Smile
If you could dig anything up for me it would be greatly appreciated!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Christian,

How would you patinize something like a statue. For instance, if it is bronze, would you expose it to some acidic enviornment causing the oxidation?
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Some form of acid is used.

What I would like to know specifically is what will cause the Bronze to turn black.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Byron ,You can use ready stuff ...You'll find it in artist's store or in silver-smith's store
Anything that turns the surface into coppersulfide will do. In antiquity also bitumen was used (Plin.nat.35,182), "corinthian bronze" containing either gold or silver in small amounts, or, in form of an "active" patinization either niello, or (poly-) sulfide containig solutions. On the Mahdia bronzes there is a 2mm strong hard layer of copper-sulfide, which was achieved through sulphur-patinization.
Christian K.

Thanks guys.
What is ready stuff, Nieczar?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I mean ready patina in the bottle Smile ...You need just find the best for the brass or the bronze
Thanks!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel