Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Cave Sword reproduction
Hi,

Just recieved a link from a friend, Roland Williamson, to pictures of his recreation of one of the South Cave sword and scabbards he was commissoned to make by the Beverley Treasury House for their permanent exhibit and thought that fellow members would be intersted in viewing them http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?u ... feat=email

best
Ingvar
Ingvar Sigurdson
Dave Huggins
Wulfheodenas
simply beautiful!
ALA I BATAVORUM
Stunning Confusedhock: !!! Is it possible to get more info about the original sword? It is completely new to me...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
This is interesting as in previous reconstructions of British swords the bit that has been interpreted as a scabard mouth here was seen as the lower part of the pommel, i.e the base plate.

In this repro there is no effective baseplate.
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Lovely job, nice to see that Rolly is still turning out quality work. 'Bodgit n Bendit' indeed. :wink:

The South Cave hoard of 5 swords in their scabbards plus 33 spearheads only came to light in 2002 so there hasn't been much published on them yet. The replica is being delivered to the new 'Treasure House' museum in Beverley this Friday for display along with the finds in early 2010.
You can see some images of some of the finds here:-

[url:2ggzpt8b]http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/culture/museums/collections/index.php?a=indexes&s=gallery&key=IYToxOntpOjA7czo1OiJzd29yZCI7fQ==&pg=3[/url]
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Beautiful work!
Is this the Roland of Quiet Press fame?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
awesome work! Thanks for posting the link David. Lovely to see Bodgit and Bendit still producing wonderful things!

Quote:Is this the Roland of Quiet Press fame?
Dave, I think that's Raymond's Quiet Press :wink:
Hmm... :oops: Well, I guess it isn't then, is it? Sigh.

Yes, more coffee, please.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Wow, that is a beautiful sword! The hilt work is amazing, and very organic looking! I'll refrain from using tha toverused word ...awesome...but it is! :o
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Niiice.

Sub-Roman, or is it still considered La Tene? Or both?
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
As the commissioning agent for this replica I can testify that Roland has really put his heart and soul into it. Big Grin It looks every bit as good “in the flesh” as the pictures suggest – we took delivery of it last Friday. I’m particularly impressed by the bronze openwork panels and the Moose antler grip/pommel, which look very like the ivory originals. It will go on temporary display at the Treasure House sometime in January with the story of its making and then is destined for use in educational workshops. Roland took up the baton after a previous effort to make it fell through and it has taken 12 months of painstaking work to achieve this result. I can say we are really happy with it.

As for the publication, there are some things available, though it is true the final academic report (by Museum of London Archaeology Service) has yet not appeared – it is now scheduled for the 2011 edition of the journal “Britannia”, but has still to go through critical review and possibly some editing. Dave Evans, the excavator of the weapons cache did do an article for Current Archaeology and the preliminary assessment report by Humber Field Archaeology / York Archaeological Trust did contain a lot of information on the finds – copies may still be available from either organisation I don’t know. We did a booklet for the exhibition launch in 2008 and I am hoping to do a revised version for sale (probably £1 or so, basically to cover copying costs) which will include some of the conclusions from the MOLAS report, but in a more generally accessible form – providing this doesn’t compromise the Britannia article. Our website as someone pointed out, does contain some images, but I’m intending to put some better ones on for the re-launch in late January 2010.
Smile )
They have created a desolation and called it peace

Davidus 77 / David Marchant
Hi David, great reproduction by Roland there!
I'm wondering if you could get your webpage designer to fix the page : whole big files are slowly loading instead of thumblnails to linked jpegs, and RE-loading when unnecessary.
I got a bit frustrated and closed it. Roland's picasa pages are better.
Nice aldborough pommel by the way, might make one of them in brass.
Michael Ulfric Douglas <-- Call me Ulfric, its my name.
Outstanding work!
Elisedd of Powys
Kolba
Charles Kolbusz

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Early Alanic Sword Reproduction Alanus 6 3,745 03-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Alanus