Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making the Vindonissa Gallic F
Hi all,

I've started a reconstruction of the Vindonissa Gallic F ([url:xxg7eh4r]http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/option,com_helmets/task,view/cid,60/Itemid,96/[/url]). I wanted to do one of the Fs and preferably one that hasn't been paid a lot of attention to...

Since there have already been some excellent conversations on the other Fs in the database, but not that much focus on the Vindonissa, I would really appreciate any comments on the bowl I have so far, and the neck guard and cheek guards I'll be making next.

Here's where I am so far...
[attachment=3:xxg7eh4r]<!-- ia3 DSC_0010.JPG<!-- ia3 [/attachment:xxg7eh4r]
[attachment=2:xxg7eh4r]<!-- ia2 DSC_0013.JPG<!-- ia2 [/attachment:xxg7eh4r]
[attachment=1:xxg7eh4r]<!-- ia1 DSC_0014.JPG<!-- ia1 [/attachment:xxg7eh4r]
[attachment=0:xxg7eh4r]<!-- ia0 match-photo.JPG<!-- ia0 [/attachment:xxg7eh4r]

From what I've read here on RAT I may need to shorten the occipital area by about 30% but I was trying to leave a little extra until I could compare with the photos in the database. Also, maybe the brow needs to come down a tad (maybe I can cover any messy areas with the silvered brow band). The marker is for approximate placement, and I'll fine tune it a bit more once I get the neck guard on.

Thanks,

Kelsey
Kelsey McLeod
Here's what the neck guard looks like with the measurements I've calculated from the database (about 1.25"/32mm on each side and 2.25/57mm at the bottom). I thought the measurements looked on the small side, comparing to the other Gallic Fs such as the Besancon.

[attachment=1:37rsiygm]<!-- ia1 Library - 158.jpg<!-- ia1 [/attachment:37rsiygm]
[attachment=0:37rsiygm]<!-- ia0 Library - 159.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:37rsiygm]

--Kelsey
Kelsey McLeod
Looking good Kelsey! Look forward to seeing the finished article!
How did you make the bowl. I get the impression it is made by 2 halves welded together, but I'm not sure? Anyway, a very nice project and good luck with finishing this piece.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:How did you make the bowl. I get the impression it is made by 2 halves welded together, but I'm not sure? Anyway, a very nice project and good luck with finishing this piece.

No welding yet... I started with a civil defense helmet, then brought the back brim of it down flat using an oxygen/propane torch and a mushroom stake on the anvil.

Here are a couple pictures to give you a better idea Smile
[attachment=1:l80sum2x]<!-- ia1 DSC_0001.JPG<!-- ia1 [/attachment:l80sum2x]
[attachment=0:l80sum2x]<!-- ia0 DSC_0003.JPG<!-- ia0 [/attachment:l80sum2x]

--Kelsey
Kelsey McLeod
Now thats crafty lol
Those holes around the brim had me wondering about their purpose.... Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Very interesting project. What are the inner dimensions of the helmet?

Regards
Maarten
Quote:What are the inner dimensions of the helmet?

The interior dimensions of the original were documented by Martin Hoffman in "Ein Helm vom Typ Weisenau aus Vindonissa" (many thanks to Jens Horstkotte for sending it to me) as 23cm long (~9") and 20.3cm wide (~8"). The interior dimensions of the bowl I have right now is 9-1/4" long (23.5cm) and 8-1/8" wide (20.6cm). Pretty close.

I haven't measured the interior height yet.

--Kelsey
Kelsey McLeod
Ah, thanks for the information! I'm looking forward to see the progress in your project! Good luck!

Regards
Maarten
Update...

I have most of the metal work done... almost ready to do the brass. Here are some pictures of the work so far.

[attachment=2:1mr4p800]<!-- ia2 Gallic Helmet - 38.jpg<!-- ia2 [/attachment:1mr4p800]
[attachment=1:1mr4p800]<!-- ia1 Gallic Helmet - 40.jpg<!-- ia1 [/attachment:1mr4p800]
[attachment=0:1mr4p800]<!-- ia0 Gallic Helmet - 42.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:1mr4p800]

--Kelsey
Kelsey McLeod
...then you used the other part of the brim to make the neck guard, and welded the two together? Clever.

Now the big question is, where did the Romans get all those Civil Defense Helmets to start their helmets?? :wink:

Very innovative work. I'll bet it took quite a few heats to get the rows of "bumps" on the back of the helmet, eh?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:...then you used the other part of the brim to make the neck guard, and welded the two together? Clever.

Now the big question is, where did the Romans get all those Civil Defense Helmets to start their helmets?? :wink:

Very innovative work. I'll bet it took quite a few heats to get the rows of "bumps" on the back of the helmet, eh?

Smile Actually, I had some scrap 18 gauge steel sitting around so I just tossed the brim that I cut away. And yes, lots and lots of heat to get the ridges on the occipital area. 18 gauge cools down so quick you can only work on about a 1/2 inch at a time. As long as its red hot, it doesn't take any force... just lots of patience.

...speaking of those ridges, I've read some conversations here about the shape of them on the Gallic Fs. On the others I think they mostly come to a pointed crest. Some opinions on the Vindonissa is that they are round. It's hard to tell from the photos, so I made them round-ish. Here's a closeup.
[attachment=0:3v0os0rj]<!-- ia0 Gallic Helmet - 44.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:3v0os0rj]

--Kelsey
Kelsey McLeod
very nice. Good luck with the brass edging. Just did that part of my new helmet, and some areas were rather difficult.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Pretty much done! Here are some pictures of the finished product Smile

[attachment=5:2stsmayh]<!-- ia5 Gallic Helmet - 49.jpg<!-- ia5 [/attachment:2stsmayh]
[attachment=4:2stsmayh]<!-- ia4 Gallic Helmet - 54.jpg<!-- ia4 [/attachment:2stsmayh]
[attachment=3:2stsmayh]<!-- ia3 Gallic Helmet - 52.jpg<!-- ia3 [/attachment:2stsmayh]
[attachment=2:2stsmayh]<!-- ia2 Gallic Helmet - 53.jpg<!-- ia2 [/attachment:2stsmayh]
[attachment=1:2stsmayh]<!-- ia1 Gallic Helmet - 50.jpg<!-- ia1 [/attachment:2stsmayh]

Honestly there's a little bit more planishing I intend to do around the brows but I need to make a trip to the metal yard to fix myself up with a decent ball stake. Still have to do the liner, crest holder, crest, etc. Other than that, I'm fairly pleased with the results. All questions or comments are welcome.

BTW here's a slightly better picture of the original, which I've used a lot as a reference point. All the measurements I have are pretty close to those reported by Hartmann in his report on the finding. I think there is some belief that this helmet belonged to an immunis because the helmet was found in a cubiculum that was larger than the standard legionary cubiculum. Interesting stuff!

[attachment=0:2stsmayh]<!-- ia0 Gallic Helmet - 25.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:2stsmayh]
Kelsey McLeod
wonderful. I certainly like your helmet. Just a question. How did you do the cups for the enamel? Just like you did it on you pugio, but with brass nails instead?
And, whats next?
ALA I BATAVORUM