Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand.
Hello,
I did not do a very good job yesterday answering the questions/points related to Tacitus' description of the battle site, specifically, the interpreted word 'defile'. And, I had forgotten that I had previously examined this at the start of my studies. Apologies in advance if you have discussed this already.

Annals 14,[34], "deligitque locum artis faucibus et a tergo silva clausum"

Translation by Church and Brodribb, The Works of Tacitus, 1864-77, "chose a position approached by a narrow defile, closed in at the rear by a forest"

or

Michael Grant, Tacitus: The Annals of Imperial Rome, 1973, "chose a position in a defile with a wood behind him"

A repeat of 'defile' is used by most translators in 14,[37] - "clinging to the narrow defile as a defence".

So, the key word is "faucibus" [faux] variously translated as throat, gullet, jaws, gorge, ravine, chasm, isthmus, pass and defile. In this context 'defile' seems quite a tame description in comparison to 'gorge' or 'chasm'. What seems to be clear though is that "faucibus" is meant to describe a terrain feature that is rugged: a feature with significant elevation changes. It does not seem to apply to shallow-flanked river valleys, or indentations and hollows in gently rolling terrain. It's robust, not gracile.

But, as Nathan Ross suggests, did T. misunderstand what his father-in-law was describing? Did Agricola actually describe a shallow, gentle topographic indentation or, possibly, the defile was a treeless, linear feature opening out into a plain but the total set within a forest (I think of this as a frying-pan shaped, treeless area in a forest)?

I took the view that the way to answer this was by examining the military aspects. Suetonius has a relatively small force pursued by a huge horde. He can march 13km/day faster than the horde (my estimate) which gives him distance, time and the ability to choose and plan his defence (which in Roman legionary tactics amounts to offence, but I suspect the Brits didn't know that!)

What must he avoid at the battle site? Flanking, encirclement and besiegement. Given the time available (probably 2-4 days or so) would he have chosen a shallow topographic feature, which would be more easily flanked etc., than, say, a deeper river valley issuing from a high, steep escarpment? Surely he must have reasoned that his relatively short front line had to be supported on the flanks by whatever means were available. What better than steep, possibly wooded, escarpment slopes (or similar)?

Some writers argue that the flanking woods were the crucial defensive element in a proposed battle site set in low terrain. From my experiences walking through mature woods and forests (both in the UK/Europe and junglier parts of the world) this is not the case. Mature woods can be passed through easily on foot: undergrowth is sparse, tracks are frequent.

Admittedly getting through the dense margin, or forest boundary, can be difficult but the Brits have spent a life-time hunting, gathering woodland products etc. - they know how to infiltrate a wood/forest quickly and relatively silently. Of course, chariots or mounted men would probably not attempt a woodland approach to flank a Roman army.

And consider how well a legionary/auxiliary force might fight in a wood. Hampered by heavy armour, pila significantly less effective (embedded in trees) and, crucially, unable to maintain their coherent lines, the poor legionary would be confronted with a lightly armed, fast moving, woodland experienced tribesman. Suetonius would presumably have known of the outcome of such engagements in, for example, Germany and south Wales. Rout and destruction.

However, a wood or forest to Suetonius' rear, as T. describes, would probably have been useful in stopping the horde from approaching him from the rear.

The main point is that a wood/forest being relied upon to secure the flanks in gentle terrain seems to me to be infeasible.

But, a lightly wooded, steep escarpment either side of a defile is another matter! But in this case elevation is the critical defensive factor, not the wood.

In summary, Suetonius would surely have chosen the best possible site and not second-best! Best is a robust defile flanked by elevations, not one that is set in gentle undulations. So, I take T. at his word, faucibus = defile, as I have for his number of combatants.

Regards, Steve Kaye

Messages In This Thread
Re: Calling all armchair generals! - by Ensifer - 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 08-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-11-2014, 02:03 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-20-2014, 02:37 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-25-2014, 08:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armchair Wall walking mcbishop 3 3,478 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Vindex