Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand.
Kevin Mills wrote:

No more theories please.

I think that theories are essential to any investigation.

Theories are often the fore runners of great archaeological discoveries and until there is definitive proof it is the theories that try to fill in the gaps of what actually happened.

Even today new forts are being discovered because someone has a theory about the location of a fort based on their own ideas.

The fort/s at Llandeilo would be one example comparatively recently but that is only one of many, some of the more recent have been based on distances between forts

When the last of the legions left under Constantine III it was thought for a long time that there were no Roman soldiers left in Britain but this has since proved to be incorrect due to coins found on Hadrian's Wall.

So much of our history is based on theory accepted by the establishment but often without definitive proof.

This thread has tried at least to shine a light in an area that even the most established historians have not managed to ascertain for certain.

Kevin Mills wrote:

Possibly this is my way of disapproving of this thread due to the lack of........Progress.

I find it difficult to understand why anyone would disapprove of a thread and use the excuse that little progress had been made.

There have been numerous different sites proposed and discussed including Virginia Water, Dorking, Ogbourne St George, Mildenhall, Dunstable, Church Stowe, Tring, Paulersbury, Mancetter, High Cross and Arbury Banks amongst others.

In fact if we take on board Steve Kaye’s sites there are many more options which have never been discussed before - ever.

It has also made us look at the various components that make up a successful campaign by both the Roman Army and also the locals.

I think that it has also changed ideas regarding why Rome had to station between 30,000 and 40,000 troops (let alone their support services) in Britannia for over 350 years and why so many great generals found it difficult to defeat the Brythons (for want of a better word),

This thread has applied some of the practical information from other threads on RAT in trying to understand why Rome was so successful or indeed what were the Legions movements in this turning point in the war.

This thread has been hugely informative to many – you only have to look at the statistics – 40,000 views........ so it has a certain popularity.....

Renatus wrote:

What we need is for someone interested in the subject but without an axe to grind (not one of the main protagonists, therefore) to go through the whole thread, draw it all together and turn it into a thoroughgoing study of the campaign and the battle

Why Not? (Although I am not convinced that they will come up with a definitive view that has escaped so many) :-)

John 1 wrote:

I don't think we have a specific mutual mission, or a need to agree, to me this is just an open talking shop regarding all aspects of the subject, cultural, geographic, historical and statistical......I've found this a fascinating corner of the web for the last almost 5 years. I've learnt a lot, met fascinating new people (many virtually) and been insulted a bit, on balance it's been a very good armchair for me,

I would agree with this statement (although I have only been in it for a comparatively little time) but not to be outdone by John have managed to attract at least a similar number of insults :?

Nathan Ross wrote:

I'd agree with John - these five years of debate have been engaging and fascinating,

I have nothing to add, no insults or grief – apart from the observation that if people really have “given up on this thread” there are plenty of other excellent ones to choose from to keep them entertained and of course they don't have to follow this one if they really disapprove. :wink:
Deryk

Messages In This Thread
Re: Calling all armchair generals! - by Ensifer - 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 08-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-11-2014, 02:03 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-20-2014, 02:37 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-25-2014, 08:29 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Deryk - 03-14-2015, 11:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armchair Wall walking mcbishop 3 3,479 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Vindex