Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand.
Vindex wrote:

Are you serious? Or are you just indulging in forum trollism?

I've resisted for a VERY long time but as you insist on calling the native tribes of Britannia "Brythons" one knew where your sympathies lay from the beginning.

A thread which started with a good discussion onto the various battle sites has been turned into a farce.

I can only thank you for your patience......and good manners in allowing me to prattle on :wink:

I would have thought by denigrating an enemy you are actually reducing the acheivements of the Roman generals who actually overcame great odds and showed magnificent generalship.

I doubt if the soldiers who fought the Brythons (or Britons or Tribes) would have thanked anyone for saying that really they weren't doing anything special after all they were only fighting a bunch of savages....

As for propaganda, most civilisations would be proud that 2000 years later their version of events was still not being questioned.... but most people would agree that both Tacitus and Dio were writing for their chosen audiences to make a point in their own times....

As someone once pointed out Britannia was THE posting if you wanted to fight.......

There have to be two sides otherwise there is no battle and no battle sites and we have to understand both sides if we are to understand why the battle site was located in a particular place.

I was under the mistaken illusion that the idea of this thread was to try and understand where the battle site might be using a balanced view where possible.

As far as I am aware the battle site has not been found and therefore exploring the texts, testing the interpretations, translations and trying to fit scenarios to them and to see if it fits the archeology or is disproved by it or indeed disproved by others interpretations is part of the challenging and enjoyable process.

The problem of the "mob army" theory is, that although you could apply it at Colchester at a pinch it starts to weaken by the time it gets to London and fades to insignificance days or weeks later when the final battle is fought at Mancetter, High Cross, Dunstable, Virginia Water or indeed Cunetio - well that is my theory - but I am not going to convince you of that.

If once again you feel that I have insulted you by stating how excellent I believe that SP's generalship was by firstly taking a disastrous situation when he arrived in London and turning it to his advantage, to recognising the danger he faced by advancing on the rebels homelands with a limited force, by choosing his preferred battle site, the genius of abandoning London, the skill of managing to get the opportunity to destroy the Iceni, Trinovantes and assorted other tribes (Brythons) in the field and finally his execution of the battle plan against overwhelming odds, I can only apologise.

As to your remark about trollism, probably it is time for me to return to my cave and observe from afar...... as you would no doubt prefer from your comments.

Many thanks to the others of you who have given me a huge amount of pleasure with your well informed and convincing insights......

It has allowed me to change some of the views I held when I joined the board a few short weeks ago.. and has improved my understanding by far certainly of the possibilities of Dunstable, Church Stowe and even - dare I say it - Cunetio. Smile

Kind Regards - Deryk
Deryk

Messages In This Thread
Re: Calling all armchair generals! - by Ensifer - 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 08-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Deryk - 09-27-2012, 01:19 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-11-2014, 02:03 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-20-2014, 02:37 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-25-2014, 08:29 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armchair Wall walking mcbishop 3 3,479 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Vindex