Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand.
Quote:The Yellow represents a short campaign distance, the orange a medium campaign distance, beyond the orange is a long.......long campaign distance.

Your first map looks good - although I prefer the one on p.58 of Steve's paper, that shows the greater distances along the line of the roads from London. I'm afraid I don't really see why you've moved your centre on the second map so far north, except for the obvious reason...

Quote:(unleash the Cavalry dash argument)

Ach, no! In all these years and through all this debate, really the only firm belief I maintain is that there was no 'cavalry dash' for which we have no evidence, which completely contradicts what we know of Paulinus, and which is contrary to Roman military practice... Really, this is no longer admissible - unless you have some spectacular evidence to the contrary... And that, I promise, is the last time I will mention this! :-D

Quote:Some of the Iceni may have been in London and St Albans

Most of them, surely, in London, if Paulinus felt unable to face them there with ten thousand men?

Quote:I'd also downgrade sites simply for being South of the Thames, bridging/fording/ferrying that just seems a step too far.

I wouldn't, actually - I'm quite convinced by Steve's idea of using the river as a delaying tactic. And the more I look at Dorking, the more plausible it becomes. Definitely one of my top three or four sites now, although I'm still bothered by the river...

Quote:I think we have been underplaying the coastline of the Wash as a determinant in this debate.

Doesn't this counter your idea of a second westward advance from the Iceni territory against a Roman force in the midlands?

Quote:Does this indicate that Dunstable is just too close to the enemy... In this scenario the Iceni would be coming from the East along the ridge top and the valleys to the north and the south making this site look like a very risky proposition indeed.

Along the ridgetops... in carts? Almost as bad as trying to put them in boats! Wink

It's only 'close' to the enemy if you imagine the Iceni moving as a vast green arrow, a human tidal wave sweeping across the land... If, on the other hand, you see them as a large number of people moving in the general direction of certain objectives (Colchester, then London, then perhaps Paulinus/St Albans/both) there's plenty of ground to cover. I don't think a battle site within a day or two's march of London is at all unlikely - in fact (as I've said), I'd argue the opposite...
Nathan Ross

Messages In This Thread
Re: Calling all armchair generals! - by Ensifer - 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 08-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-11-2014, 02:03 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-20-2014, 02:37 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-25-2014, 08:29 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Nathan Ross - 03-05-2015, 03:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armchair Wall walking mcbishop 3 3,480 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Vindex