Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand.
John 1 wrote: I think we have been underplaying the coastline of the Wash as a determinant in this debate.

I think that the extent of the Wash is extremely important and Tacitus refers to it later after the battle regarding SP losing ships etc. which was used as an excuse to have him replaced.

Interestingly in the same programme that “Tim” was in there was an article concerning a new archaeological dig in this area where a large amount of swords and fish traps were found indicating a sizeable population in these marsh areas which adds another dynamic.

If I remember correctly Roman engineers started to drain the areas around the Wash but not until after this period.

John wrote: I used Great Chesterford as a reference due to it's promenance on the map not because of any particular finds.But just looking at it now I realise it is only 5km from Bartlow Hills the site I nominated for the ambush of the ninth back when the page numbers were in single digits; en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartlow_Hills

Of course the area that you describe around Great Chesterford is very close to the Icknield Way, which is a direct route to both Dunstable and Tring and of course Watling Street.

I am not convinced that the Bartlow Hills burials are contemporary with the period but do think that perhaps the fort at Wixoe played an important part.

Regarding the “Horde” it has yet to be established that it was exactly the same army that destroyed Colchester that destroyed London and St Albans or was beaten by Seutonius Paulinus.

Nor where it / they mustered. If the battle site were known before hand surely the “troops” would have mustered at the site.

Also you would expect there to be warbands in chariots and cavalry which travelled swiftly and were more than capable of harrying a Roman Column whilst on the move.

Caesar mentions that a century before he came against 4,000 chariots when the levy had been dispersed in his BC54 progress by his success in using his cavalry against the infantry.

These were probably the warrior class as opposed to the average man skilled in warfare. Boudica herself road in a chariot with her daughters prior to the battle, so it appears that these were still being used in AD61

John wrote: (Unleash the Cavalry dash argument)

Please don’t!!! :woot:

You would have thought that a general of his calibre having already been in Britannia for 2 years would know which of his ports / towns could or could not be defended.

Once he crossed the Icknield Way he would have been at risk of being cut off from his main army by the Iceni.....

Nathan Ross wrote: And the more I look at Dorking, the more plausible it becomes. Definitely one of my top three or four sites now, although I'm still bothered by the river...

I don’t like the idea of the river either as it winds across the battlefield area – this is a bit like the “Cavalry Dash Argument” – looks good on the surface but ....... :oops:
Deryk

Messages In This Thread
Re: Calling all armchair generals! - by Ensifer - 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 08-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-11-2014, 02:03 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-20-2014, 02:37 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-25-2014, 08:29 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Deryk - 03-05-2015, 04:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armchair Wall walking mcbishop 3 3,480 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Vindex