Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand.
My take on this, having read the entire thread and its associated links !!

Council of War held, hosted by Iceni who are a bit peed off by their treatment by their new landlords, as are their southern neighbours. Representatives of other tribes present. Muster north of Colchester and subsequent sack thereof. But not before messages of help! are sent to SP in north wales and VIIII Hisp. Iceni scouts report move south of part of said legion, which is not really all that unexpected, is subsequently taken by surprise and the infantry wiped out. Surviving cavalry escape back north to camp with the rest of the Ninth. Britons (or Brythons for Deryk) party. The hangovers could have taken weeks to clear up. A good excuse to wait for other tribes while engaging in Ritual beloved of archaeologists.

SP meanwhile hightails it down Watling street WITH his available Legion and other units (never leave home without them when traveling through hostile country). Arrives in the small port of Londinium to find Cato has done a runner with the petty cash, along with anyone else with the brass (or silver or gold more likely) for passage to Gaul. Unprepared for a siege, short of ready's and other necessities (Cato also took all the garum but left all the wheat) SP decides it is un defensible. Sp sends messages. To the Ninth to hold the midlands and block any movement south by the fearsome Brigantian Federation (can you tell where my sympathies lie?). To the Second for re-enforcement and to keep an eye on the South west and to block any move east by the pesky Silures. Cerialis is happy to comply and sits behind his stout walls with the remains of the Ninth. The Legate and his broadstripe take part of the Second north, leaving the unhappy camp prefect to hold Isca with the Vets of II AVG .He also gets a further message from SP to send re-enforcements NOW. Possibly sends message to his legate who replies to stay put because he is BUSY. Torn between conflicting orders and in an increasingly fluid situationi he does the traditional wait and see, don't stick your neck out, don't try anything fancy type millitary resonse. Also messages sent to all outlying auxiliary units to rendezvous with him for the big 'do'.

Sp leaves Londinium by the back door, burning any supplies which may have been of use to the enemy, crosses the Thames to Southwark. Aware of the imminent arrival of the Britons he moves west, hopping to meet up with II AVG at this nice little spot he knows. Boudicca follows (cue ominous music) burning and doing a bit of pillaging along the way. Movement would be slow due to the speed of the oxen and the need to procure more beer. Maybe the odd chip butty. Parsnip chips of course. (i'm thinking football crowd behaviour here- clearly a link with a ritualised tribal past). SP arrives in Staines, still no II AVG, have they got lost? Probably not. Its a straight road but you never know who is hiding in the bushes ready to waylay messengers. Sick of waiting and with his eye on his rear but he is in no real hurry, he can get more of a wobble on if he needs to... SP marches his troops to his SP (special place). The rest is History. Oh, the special place....

Certainly to my (small) mind west of Staines, maybe north west, but not more than 2 days march. Somewhere around Tring is my bet. I like Slaughter as a site, but that's a bit too obvious. Having seen Cunetio on Time Team (takes cover from irate archaeologists - there was nothing else on - 'onest guv) I can see why it was initially attractive. The slope, the hills and the wood looked spot on. Today. While the stream and its associated bog is nice defensibly, especially if you have lots of missile troops, it would be no good to pursue and destroy the enemy.

Well that's it I think. Anyone got a metal detector? I've got a shovel..... and a big spoon

Messages In This Thread
Re: Calling all armchair generals! - by Ensifer - 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 08-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-11-2014, 02:03 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-20-2014, 02:37 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-25-2014, 08:29 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Tyketicus (wayne oldfield) - 07-26-2015, 11:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armchair Wall walking mcbishop 3 3,480 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Vindex