Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand.
(09-22-2018, 12:54 PM)John1 Wrote:
(09-22-2018, 12:18 PM)Renatus Wrote: When will people stop talking about the 'Battle of Watling Street' as if we were certain that that is where it took place?

well the only use  of "Battle of Watling Street" I see above was the document title from 2010, and too be fair I haven't used the term Battle of Watling Street on the thread for quite a while. Although if the emerging battle site at Church Stowe is proven as a battle of any period it could be referred to as the Battle of Watling Street but not necessarily anything to do with Boudicca or the Battle that was previously known as the Battle of Watling Street. But I think you are fighting and up hill battle if you think the term Battle of Watling Street, is going to be dropped in common culture anytime soon. Maybe the terms should be the Battle that may of may not have been fought on or near Watling Street, but that's not so catchy as Battle of Watling Street. I completely understand why advocates of other potential sites would dislike the use of Battle of Watling Street, but that's really a minority anywhere other than on this thread which is probably why the term Battle of Watling Street isn't used in the title, nor is Battle of Watling Street used much in the posts, probably to keep the debate open and not set off the paradistas who want to look anywhere other than Watling Street for the Battle of Watling Street. Me I think it might be time to end this pc nonsense and no longer accept any candidate sites for the Battle that may or may not have been fought near Watling Street unless they can demonstrate a HER reference to it's candidacy. that would limit the debate and candidates to Church Stowe and Mancetter, which, to be fair, are both close to Watling Street and might reasonably referred to as the Battle of Watling Street.

If we aren't going to use the Battle of Watling Street, which is the popular name for the engagement, what should we use? Should the Battle of Watling Street be Boudicas Last Stand? Paulinus Epic Victory? The Battle that may or may not have been fought at Tring, Church Stowe, Paulersbury, Dunstable, Virginia Water etc etc? These don't seem as catchy or brief as Battle of Watling Street.

Anway I'll continue to try and avoid the term Battle of Watling Street, but for brevity the Battle of Watling Street is usually the best when talking to non-thread members and to be blunt almost certainly the most geographically accurate....... lots of love John1 xxxxx

PS Wikipedia calls the Battle of Watling Street (my bad) the Battle of Watling Street, it would seem therefore that the term Battle of Watling Street is the accepted abbreviation for this Battle which involved Watling Street so I think your campaign to remove the term Battle of Watling Street form all discussions involving the Battle of Watling Street will have a hard task but I would recommend getting an alternative to the term Battle of Watling Street, accepted ans the title for the Battle of Watling Street page on Wikipedia.   en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Watling_Street

Are you talking about Boudica's last stand or just Watling on?
Oh the grand oh Duke Suetonius, he had a Roman legion, he galloped rushed down to (a minor settlement called) Londinium then he galloped rushed back again. Londinium Bridge is falling down, falling down ... HOLD IT ... change of plans, we're leaving the bridge for Boudica and galloping rushing north.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Calling all armchair generals! - by Ensifer - 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 08-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-11-2014, 02:03 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-20-2014, 02:37 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-25-2014, 08:29 AM
RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - by MonsGraupius - 09-22-2018, 04:48 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armchair Wall walking mcbishop 3 3,479 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Vindex