Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand.
(09-13-2021, 02:40 PM)[email protected] Wrote: A couple of months ago and new to this, I directed people to my website Boudiccaslostbattlefound.com. The replies ranged from factual to petty. This was my first attempt at web work and yes a number of silly mistakes have been dealt with. However, I must reply to the few comments. Firstly, I used a combat estimate for my findings, the whole purpose of which is to give options/assumptions. This point has completely been missed by those who read it. This is a novel way of locating the battlefield. As for the comment the maps do not show what I mean - then yes to some degree. Though this is purely because I do not wish to pay for it. If your IT skills are better then mine then go and look at the actual proper maps. Again, the many points in the doc have been missed and if I have to resort to 'shouty' capitals to make them then so be it. One point I did make is the ground is all - the ground is everything. The 2 locations I stated by Bicester match all the historical criteria. Though I admit I should have come down on my favorite. Other people seem to be going around in endless circles on this subject. I have the location - come back to me when you have 40 years militray experience of siting weapons, tactics, fieldcraft and ISTAR (look it up) as well as 10 operational deployments and 4 wars including being on Regional Command South HQ in Afghanistan at the height of the conflict where I was again witness to how generals (we had 5 in all) think.

Dear Martyn,
[moderator comment ON]

That reply is neither helpful, nor is it civil.

You may have a great deal of experience in the military (and we thank you for your service!), but as every military historian (and I suspect a good deal of your generals as well) will be able to tell you, that experience is of limited use when it comes to ancient warfare. Your tactics are not their tactics. Your logistics are not their logistics. Your weapons are not their weapons. Your mind is not their mind. 

Now I am not saying that you are wrong about your favoured location of the battle (I am no expert in matters Boudicca but I suspect the end the archaeologist's spade will have the final say if at all), but telling people here that their opinions are worthless simply because they are not military etc is neither here nor there. Your opinion is yours, but telling people off because they do not agree with you is not only foolish but plain rude.

If your point "has completely been missed by those who read it" then I suggest that you have failed to explain it properly. Should you wish to do that on this forum I suggest that you are more civil in future. 

[Moderator comment OFF]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Calling all armchair generals! - by Ensifer - 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 08-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-11-2014, 02:03 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-20-2014, 02:37 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-25-2014, 08:29 AM
RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - by Robert Vermaat - 09-20-2021, 05:54 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armchair Wall walking mcbishop 3 3,508 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Vindex