Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand.
It appears that my too direct tone has annoyed some people and I have been warned to be more civilized. So be it. A thank you to Nathan for his comments on my website Boudiccaslostbattlefieldfound. Although it appears I wrote it from a modern militray viewpoint, that is strictly not the case. Yes, I used modern methods but the nature of conflict is still the same, whether ancient or modern. Before I embarked on this quest (ordeal?) I did my homework and against a number of mediocre books who still persist in wrong-footing everyone I would like to recommend two others; The Roman Army - A new History by Patricia Southern and The Great Invasion by Leonard Cottrell.

Tactics are tactics which is still dictated in land warfare by the ground. I heavily mentioned CSS-combat service support (logistics) in my article ("Amateurs discuss tactics; the professionals discuss logistics" -Bonaparte). If I had a pound for every time I dealt with CSS in my past I could embark on a 6-month tour of Australia. There is a saying which applies in this instance 'All you need for slaughter is ammunition, rations and water'. The Boudicca revolt was nothing but a battle for CSS by Suetonius who decided to go 'bucket and spading' in N. Wales at an inappropriate time (sounds familiar). He had to keep his supply lines intact and behind him for only the enemy was to his front. Although I explained two routes for his Legions, one follows the chain of Roman forts down the Welsh Marches before diverting east at Kingsholm to protect what was left of the remaining Roman towns west of London. Though we know that the rebels went for the easy plunder where the riches were. There was nothing for him in the north at that time - except a wilderness.  Even now 2,000 years later, there is still a promise of levelling up the North! We also know that what was left of the Lincoln Legion IX did not participate in the final battle. 

Again, I will stick my neck out reference the Legion IX ambush. Having also completed a combat estimate on this, I have found a site which meets all the criteria (perhaps when looking for a ambush site it is best to have taken part (and taught) ambushes)) where 3 Heavy Infantry Cohortes were killed, some 1,440 men and not the 2,000 which seems to be the accepted version in a 'Kill Zone' of 1,080 metres.

Weapons are weapons and are used to kill people, whatever the age. Substitute Rocket launchers for Ballista, rifles for Pilum, rifles with bayonets - swords. It is still close combat. In my view (I am sure that someone will contradict me) that there is only one TV prog that has shown how the Roman front line actually fought. A pat on the back for the first person who knows it. Close combat is utterly exhausting. Again, I mentioned marching with heavy loads as I was part of a team tasked with the implementation of a loaded march policy. Normally, the modern military did their fitness tests once a year. The civilian expert asked why? as only at that point in time was your fitness level up. Surely it would be better for the tests to be conducted 3/4 times a yea?. Compare this with the Roman physical trg regime and you will be awed. An excellent book on the physical attributes required to match the Roman fighting abilities is in a book called ' The Warrior Diet' by an ex Israeli special forces soldier now Art Historian. Having done the exercises outlined in the book, it is the best trg I have ever encountered and an excellent way to get into the combat mindset of a front line fighting legionnaire.

Lastly, the order for the events, the Roman Procurator in London - Decianus Catus, sent 200 poorly armed troops to Colchester. Then as it was sacked (by the Trinovantes) the Eceni rebels ambushed Legio IX before they entered their tribal territory. Then Suetonius Legions began their march from N. Wales. Apart from my location having all the key attributes, a defile(s), woods to the rear of the Roman position, a major Roman road artery to the front, the remainder of the Roman towns to the rear etc it also has a wood to one side of the battle line. The wood is mentioned by Dio, not Tacitus, as where many were killed - a 'hammer and anvil' scenario.

As the ancient famous Greek philosopher Epictetus once said, "The greater the difficulty, the more glory in surmounting it. Skillful pilots gain their reputation from storms and tempests'.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Calling all armchair generals! - by Ensifer - 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 08-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-11-2014, 02:03 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-20-2014, 02:37 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-25-2014, 08:29 AM
RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - by [email protected] - 09-24-2021, 02:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armchair Wall walking mcbishop 3 3,508 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Vindex