Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand.
(10-08-2021, 05:15 AM)Steven James Wrote:      
That may be so, but Goldsworthy sent me the paper as a Word 97 document, so it has been in my possession for quite a long time.

Steven

First did he give you express consent to re post his private email contents containing his intelectual property?.

Second, your copy past in post 2021 contains no use of  notes that are present in the original, already linked to, and subsequent published versions, here  https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=1v1O...n.&f=false

Can you explain why after it has been published for decades with notes, he then removes all note refernces and gives it to you whan you could have had it with those notes decades ago, or he could have given it to you as its written, with notes.

(10-08-2021, 05:15 AM)Steven James Wrote: Goldsworthy's paper first appeared in print in 1998 but the file linked to was not created until April 2010, so it has only been available to download for one decade and a year.
whats your point?, the article was written earlier back when he was research fellow at Cardif Uni, depending on who you are you can read from when first printed.

(10-07-2021, 05:47 PM)Renatus Wrote:
(10-07-2021, 03:06 PM)Hanny Wrote: Look again at my post with seasons in them, you asked a question i had already answerd.

I assume that you are referring to your post #1991, which is the one containing the wording that I am querying.  As you suggest, I have looked at it again.  It is a long post and contains a lot of material that may or may not be relevant to this issue.  Frankly, I am none the wiser, so please indulge me and set out in simple terms what you are suggesting.  You need not go into great detail; a broad outline will do.  Of course, if I have the wrong post, please give me the number of the correct one.

You refer to  , https://www.romanarmytalk.com/showthread...#pid351987

So we have a 2 month operation to get there and take it, and 3 months to create the supply base to hold it, a 5 month operation which fits a single campaign season.

Two problems with compressing it all into a single year, first is tacitus records it as a 2 season event, second is the problems of logistics and time and crop cycles, when you compress it to a single year, so to do so means getting creative.

I had already defined the campaign season earlier  here, if teh above is not clear enough.

Hanny Wrote:
Roman campaign season along with all its religious festivals set at specific times had a set month to start and ends in October, just because this campaign set out late would not change that.

(10-07-2021, 06:19 PM)Nathan Ross Wrote:
(10-07-2021, 07:38 AM)Hanny Wrote: ... So horse relay is an unfinished function and gives the absolute ceiling. Most books ive read on the courier service of Rome give that ceiling at 150klm a day for important dispatch, going same route as orbis is a 24 day journey, 10 days longer than Orbis.

So having referred us to Orbis, you now decide that Orbis is... faulty? Hmm.

However, it is once again your own calculation that is faulty - Orbis gives the route as 2044km (see screenshot), which at your own figure of 150km per day would get our courier to Rome in 13.6 days - only a day or two over my estimated timeline.

Your calculation of 24 days might be right if the courier was travelling about 50 miles per day - the speed of the regular cursus publicus postal service. Military messengers carrying urgent reports could and did travel considerably faster than the ordinary post, of course - in one recorded case a message from Mainz, via Reims in Gaul, reached Rome in only 8-8.5 days, in the middle of winter.

Meanwhile, I continue to await your own projection of how this campaign would have worked, based on your own exaggerated notions of the plausible. Until you provide it, I'm afraid all you are demonstrating is the same generally obnoxious attitude that you have displayed on multiple threads on this board!

No i pointed out the limitation of orbis when calculating London to Rhine along the cursus publicus  which may or may not be along the fastest route, or it may or may not be present on the shortest route, and a difference again of a day each leg. Your estimate of 37 days, is well below Orbis 250klm a day horse relay of time period from london to rome to the rhine. So just like you want Roman legions manouvering at a war fighting tempo of the extreme top of human capabilities, you now want information to move faster than the top speed that was present to transfer it. Just to fit a timeline you made up, like the others you made up up thread.

You are still under the false impression i am under an obligation to do/give you what you want, if i did, considering both primary texts on logistics, and data we have from UK/French/Austrian/Priussian Army operating on the same technology level of mules horse cart etc for logistics, and weight carried,, i would compare those historical manouvering rates that show the operational movement rates of supply from base and or living of the land, and time spent in garrison awaiting supply, that we can then use to predict the samerange of rates for Ad 60 for supply from base, as in Austrian and Uk, living of the land as in French and combinations of both. But i dont need to do that to know your wrong, and simply dont like being wrong.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Calling all armchair generals! - by Ensifer - 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 08-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-11-2014, 02:03 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-20-2014, 02:37 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-25-2014, 08:29 AM
RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - by Hanny - 10-08-2021, 08:30 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armchair Wall walking mcbishop 3 3,508 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Vindex