Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand.
This is for the doubting Johns and others who ooze negativity and contribute nothing of value to those who try. In 2013, after a full, militray career I put forward my theories on a unique way of locating Boudiccas lost battlefield. Then a year later my dream job came up in the reserves and I was the perfect candidate. Now retired again, I have relooked at Boudiccaslostbattlefield.com and for a number of reasons now think that my alternative Dio battlefield near Brill is the location.

The recent comments by the Prof that the battlefield will never be found is systematic of the way modern archeology thinks. What have the experts found of great value recently? It took a writer with a strange feeling in a car park to uncover one of the UKs greatest mysteries. Unless you have a string of academic credentials to your name they are not interested. By the way, this is just not my comment but someone else actively engaged in locating lost Roman Battlefields.

Putting this all to one side, 8 years later on, I much improved my search methods using militray IPB, IPE and ISTAR and so in Nov 2020, I started a fresh search to locate Caratacus lost battlefield only to find the same misguided theories. It is not any of the Caer Caradocs, Coxall Knoll, British Camp or Llanymymech. Neither it is as stated by Martin Hackett at Llandinam hills. Though it must be said full credit must go to him for actually thinking it out but there are serious mistakes from a military viewpoint; the length of the ramparts, the distance from the river etc. Also Tacitus does not state that Caratacus last stand was at a hillfort. If it were, surely, he would have mentioned it. Most of these locations cater for the tourism trade and are missing vital identifiable topographical features and display none of Caratacus superior cunning.

So, after a combat appreciation I had a list of 20 criteria the site must have and I found a unique location. The site had everything, in prime Caratacus country, in a remote location largely untouched by modern man within an enclosed country estate with limited public access. My then metal detecting partner had a major health scare and so his priorities was elsewhere. After a presentation of 2 hrs., permission was obtained from the landowner and after 40 hrs. of metal detecting, I came to the conclusion it was not the site. Why? The site had everything and the pictures were fantastic, including remains of stones ramparts on slopes above a river. Why was it not the site that is the question I had to ask myself. Recently a Liberal canvasser came calling for the forthcoming elections. By her face i could tell that she really was trying. I knew the feeling. I had really tried on this one.

I submitted an article to a Metal Detecting magazine on my search complete with photos. The editor really liked it and I think was convinced I had the location and that I should try again. But being a failure, I am now glad it did not go into print. On first impression, the site has it all. But was let down on two major features which were simply not suitable. So, a year later in the cold light of day it was time for an overdue washup and what did I conclude. The criteria was spot on. It was the detail within it that needed more attention to and that the location is even more deceptive and cunning than even I previously had thought. With only the added introduction of one word it set me off in a different direction and I now firmly believe I have found the location. There is nothing like it. There are also 2 revelations. One has been staring everyone in the face and now looking back it makes perfect sense. The other revelation, after extensive research for my paper, concerns the local history and stretches back over a 100 years to Edwardian times and a mystery.
So, yet again I am now prepared to travel long distances and go though it all again. To that end I am informing you of this quest and yet again Tacitus is exactly right. I now seek an experienced metal detecting partner. I could (and probably will end up doing it by myself which is OK) detect it alone but would rather detect it with someone. if there is anyone suitable out there my E mail is on the Boudicca site. Originally I thought the quest would be a forlorn hope yet the ground now tells me otherwise. I have learnt from my mistakes and yes, the location is even more deceptive and hidden than anyone has previously thought. Happy sniping.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Calling all armchair generals! - by Ensifer - 03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 12:02 AM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Re: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by Steve Kaye - 08-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-07-2014, 02:18 PM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-11-2014, 02:03 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-20-2014, 02:37 AM
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica\'s Last Stand. - by antiochus - 11-25-2014, 08:29 AM
RE: Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand. - by [email protected] - 04-04-2022, 02:04 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armchair Wall walking mcbishop 3 3,506 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Vindex