Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coffee anyone?
A moment of silence is in order for the workers lost on Piper Alpha, Deepwater Horizon, and other casualties in the industry. Huge tragedy. Normal, everyday people who work to provide energy for the rest of us, and paid for their efforts with their lives should not be forgotten so carelessly as has become the norm. Rest in peace, all.

I'm not very informed about that one, GJC, but generally, the two accidents seem similar in result, if not in exact cause. I haven't researched it that thoroughly, but it seems to me the water at that site was MUCH shallower, making the repair/patch more feasible. Some repair techniques have improved and more have been invented since then, but approximately a mile of water overhead makes everything quite a bit more difficult. I'm pretty sure they got the PA leak contained a long time before this one, but perhaps there are other factors/motives at work here.

(Self moderation: I think we should not pursue the motives and political implications, as we'd shortly violate the "modern politics" rule.)

When big catastrophes like these happen, the tangible assets are sold, the proceeds going towards retiring the debt, and the (generally high percentage) unpaid balance simply is written off the ledger, and disappears, leaving someone else to pay the injured parties in some cases, and in others, nobody pays, and the smaller businesses simply fail. You can't collect a debt when there's no money, simple as that.

A very large proportion of some of the US seafoods are harvested from the Gulf of Mexico, and that water is very much in danger of having huge sections "dead" for marine life for decades to come. That means thousands of fishermen, boat maintenance, markets and so forth will go out of business. Prices of seafood from that source will rise dramatically, and the economy of the region will be irreparably harmed.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I haven't heard much about the injured or killed workers since the first three days of the accident and that is just bad press anyway you look at it. I am waiting for the axe to fall on Charlotte Harbor in the Seafood Industry my Step-Father has been a Commercial Fisherman since he was 15 years old. Even if around here isn't shut down the marine life will still be significantly effected. Certain seasons of fishing and the regular crabbing will probably cease or be severely limited.I am the oldest son and like the outdoors so typically the business would pass to me when he wanted to hang it up... Sad
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Yes Dave, the two incidents are actually of a different magnitude for various reasons.
The loss of life was the bigger issue in Piper Alpha, due to improper procedures and practice, and the oil spilled was no where near this quantity.
here, while I am a firm beliver in the 1 life is 1 too many, they were extremely lucky to only have 11 fatalities.
(I do not mean to be callous here), while the environmental aspect has taken taken the torch away from that as the impact
will affect infinately more peoples lives than the sad losses to those who remain. There is no way to say this that sounds good..... Sad
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coffee in Brussel Jona Lendering 0 639 01-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering
  Newsfeed - Spartan Coffee/Black Broth Arthes 5 1,376 03-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Josef