Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Inevitable Football Topic
The pythia, incarnated in Paul the octopus, has dictated his prophecy. Hispania will be the next Football World Champion! Big Grin
"nos Celtis genitos et ex Hiberis" - Marcial, Epigrammata, IV, 55.

Blossio/Alberto Pérez
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.despertaferro-ediciones.com">www.despertaferro-ediciones.com
I sure do hope so !!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:The pythia, incarnated in Paul the octopus, has dictated his prophecy. Hispania will be the next Football World Champion! Big Grin
By no means! That watery fowl, which by the way has yet to predit the result opf a major final correctly (it was WRONG about the Euriopean final two years ago), has been suprceded by the MAGIC PARAKEET Mani, who agreed with Octo about the semis, but has wisely chosen The Netherlands as favorite for the finals.

Hail Mani, the magic parakeet!! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hey, that last Netherlands game was something else! Two goals in a minute? talk about breaking the momentum of the other team. Wow and wow!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Two goals in a minute? talk about breaking the momentum of the other team. Wow and wow!
I like the idea that someone in Texas is watching the World Championship Soccer and is interested in the results of European teams. To be honest, I am not even able to mention the name of a baseball team in Texas... :oops:

Meanwhile, it's perhaps foreigners who see things best. Today, I learned something about my own country when I read this article. One quote:
Quote:[In the 1974 match against Germany] the Dutch eventually succumbed to a 2-1 defeat that was especially stinging to Dutch fans who remembered the German occupation during World War II. The cultural impact of this match in the Netherlands is sometimes compared to that of the Kennedy assassination.
I have always felt that the Dutch were oversensitive about that match, and have always felt that the frustration was not in proportion to what had really happened. I know some perfectly reasonable people who have, for the past weeks, had only one fear: a German world championship. I think that is ridiculous. You know, in the end, it is just a game.

However, at the same time, I can recognize that that particular match was somehow a defining moment for Dutch society, and although I think that this response is preposterous, the quote above gave me the impression that we're apparently not as mad as I used to believe. At least one foreign journalist can describe our national oversensitivity as if it is not unique. Somehow, that's reassuring.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:I am not even able to mention the name of a baseball team in Texas...
I can help there. Pro teams: Houston Astros, and Texas Rangers. Semi pro, Round Rock Express.

Yeah, that last Netherlands game must have caused many a glass of suds to be raised by Orange Shirts, eh?

Oh, and if you want to know a little about "Real Football", well, the Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Texans. Semi Pro, the Austin Vipers. (couldn't resist, bro, just couldn't. I really tried.)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
So, Jona.....

You would lend your pushbike to a German then ?

:mrgreen:

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
I have nothing against Spain, but I have to root for the Netherlands. It's easier to cheer for the little guys, you know.

Off topic: Hey David, what is the word around Austin about the proposed F1 race? I went to every USGP in Indianapolis save one, and I'm eager for it to come back to the States.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Well, the F1 is still in the "Gee, wouldn't it be cool if--" phase, as far as we on the outside can tell. There's a little talk radio buzz about it. Basically, the first idea is that they'd just close off some streets and run on existing roadways. Then they found out that NONE of our roads are sufficiently smooth and properly banked for the stresses of dozens of cars moving upwards of 100mph. Imagine that. And there are the fussbudgets that worry about the sound upsetting their morning routines on race/qualifying/track practice days.

So where it stands as of the last I heard is that they're now considering building a specific track on a plot of land, and solving most of the population's problems all at once. Then again, knowing how our local officials think (lived here for 30 years) they'll do whatever they want, and what brings in the maximum revenue to their own pockets. (I suppose that's not so dangerously close to violating the politics rule, as it only pertains to one city).
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Well, Red Bull is up in the lead, Mc Laren is fair at the moment but tomorrow we will see who wins !!

Just hope Alonso wont start whining again like last race...

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:You would lend your pushbike to a German then ?
No problem. With fellow-RATs like Siggi, Svenja, and Christian, it is hard to cultivate our parents' resentments against the Germans, isn't it? We're all Europeans now, and I don't need my grandfather's bike back.

The only concession to jingoism I am willing to make, is that Sunday, we do not sing the usual first stanza of the Dutch anthem, the one about honoring the king of Spain. I'm afraid that after the match, the little-known tenth, the one about the Spanish hurting the Dutch, may be more relevant.

And for those interested in a bit of history, the Dutch anthem is a truly interesting text, and the Wikipedia page tells the story well. Translation added.
Jona Lendering
My website
"And so", he says, ominously, "it all comes down to this one day."
http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world- ... 70910.html
May the officials' eyes be clear and true.
May no player be seriously injured.
May each team play its cohesive best.
May no goalkeeper yawn.
May every shoe stay tied.
May the vuvuzelas ring looouuuuudddd and clear.

May calmness, gentleness, and peacefulness and brotherly love...

naah. Give 'em hell, boys, this is it! Luckily, it's not Aztec lacrosse, lucky for whomver doesn't win.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
A friend of mine celebrated his birthday this afternoon, and cycling back home, I was impressed by the way Amsterdam had changed. Orange everywhere. Right now, the mood is fine, people are genuinely enjoying themselves. I've never seen something like it, but it's nice.

To our friends in Spain: I hope you will enjoy the match as well! ¡Buena suerte!
Jona Lendering
My website
This is not football, this is fouling galore and total nonsense.

Go Spain ! Holland does not deserve it anymore.

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:This is not football, this is fouling galore and total nonsense.
Go Spain ! Holland does not deserve it anymore.
Oh and the Spanish ARE playing good football? :x
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your favourite football club Decius 41 8,274 04-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Decius
  San Diego Football Hibernicus 4 1,590 04-23-2004, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Hibernicus