Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helen of Sparta,Troy and Egypt?!
I don't know if there is anything recent on this, but in the early '90s a bronze Mycenaean type B sword was found at Hattusa with the Akkadian inscription:
'As Duthaliya the Great King shattered the Assuwa-Country he dedicated these swords to the Storm-God, his Lord.' The king was probably Tuthaliyas II of the second half of the fifteenth century BC (or a few hundred years later :wink: )
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Quote:I don't know if there is anything recent on this, but in the early '90s a bronze Mycenaean type B sword was found at Hattusa with the Akkadian inscription:
'As Duthaliya the Great King shattered the Assuwa-Country he dedicated these swords to the Storm-God, his Lord.' The king was probably Tuthaliyas II of the second half of the fifteenth century BC
Assuwa was the name of a powerful federation of western states; Wilusa was one of its members. Tudhaliya defeated them in 1418, if I recall correctly. In Ephesus, the traces of destruction have been discovered. After this campaign, three vassal states were created. One of them was the Seha land (the capital of which was identified about two weeks ago).

The king of Seha was ordered to defend Asia Minor against "the man of Ahhiyawa", which was a mighty Greek-speaking kingdom across the sea (probably mainland Greece, perhaps Lesbos). This Greek leader was in Asia to support a rebel named Piyamaradu, who had attacked Wilusa and had expelled its lawful king Alaksandus, who had appealed for help in the Hittite capital. When the king of Seha was defeated by the Achaeans, a powerful Hittite army reached the scene, led by the crown prince, the future Hattusili III. We don't know what happened next, but we know that at least one Greek army reached Asia Minor and fought for Wilusa. This must have happened in the 1260s.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website