Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to wear a celtic jockey cap helmet?
I'd still love to see this particular "Jockey cap" on an actual model. I'm still trying to debate on wether I should get a Gallic helm with cheek pieces or something like the jockey cap. The Jockey cap seems tempting, simply because I do not see many reenactors wearing this style of helm. More people seem to opt for the more stylin' Gallic helms with cheeck pieces (understandably), but I might try something different.
Todd Franks

"The whole race is madly fond of war, high spirited and quick to battle, but otherwise straightforward and not of evil character." - Strabo on the Celts
Quote:I don't think so, Bren. You'll need to make a hole in either side. If there's a ring under the "neckguard" only, you'll need longer straps, cord, or whatever. It works like this, if words can explain it.

Take about a two foot length of cord. Loop in under the neck ring. Put the helmet on. Using the end that comes from the left, proceed around your neck, side, then front and across through the right hole. Take the cord from the right side, up and across, through the left hole, then bring the two under your chin and tie. It sounds awkward, but it's really not uncomfortable at all, providing you use some kind of tiestring that's not rough on your neck.

Somewhere on RAT, someone posted a picture or two of a Montofortino or Coolus helmet that's tied in the very same way, except the holes/loops are at the bottom of the cheekpieces. Anybody remember where that thread is?
See, using this method would eliminate the need for the leather cheek straps entirely, and I wonder if this was perhaps the more common and simpler method that was used? :?
Todd Franks

"The whole race is madly fond of war, high spirited and quick to battle, but otherwise straightforward and not of evil character." - Strabo on the Celts
I'd use this helmet as a shield boss. Sorry, Off Topic. But come on, that's not a helmet...!
Paul Elliott

Legions in Crisis
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/17815...d_i=468294

Charting the Third Century military crisis - with a focus on the change in weapons and tactics.
Well, an awful lot of Gauls would think differently, but we all have our opinions. Turn it the other way around and compare generally with a WW2, Korean War, or Viet Nam era US Army helmet. Hmm. Shield bosses were out of vogue by that time.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Well, heres what I did with mine. I originally wanted to remain acurate to the archelogical finds and set mine up like Folkert did; However, I was having a hard time bending the particualar nails that I had through the helmet/chin strap and then back through the strap again. I had some brass rivets on hand so I just went with those instead. I'd still like to do the nail thing in the future when i figure out how to do it :lol: . I also broke the rules a bit and added some feather holders, even though none of these helms (to my knowledge) have been found with any.

[Image: helmet1.jpg]

[Image: helmet2.jpg]
Todd Franks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Celtic helmet of an Entrmont sculpture - Help S. Marcer 0 1,032 10-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Last Post: S. Marcer
  Celtic helmet discovered in Bulgaria; lots of pictures sitalkes 13 6,557 01-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Last Post: sitalkes