Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades
Quote:Without wishing to open a can of worms, that assertion is debateable at the very least.....others test results do not agree with your findings, unfortunately.

The can of worms can stay closed, but I can only stick by the tests I have personally performed. I don't know the standards the "others" have kept but I do know those that I have held. I have witnessed it and have seen the results.

Quote:Even if true, the performance of a hypothetical glued linen Tube-and-Yoke is most assuredly not evidence of the existence of same in a Greek context ( though of course some sort of 'thorakes lineoi' certainly existed in Anatolia and the near East in Classical times - but there is no evidence whatever that these were glued linen, still less that they were 1 cm thick.) :?

Of course it isn't evidence. And I certainly hope you don't think linen corselets only existed in "Anatolia and the near East in Classical times." That would be silly. And again, of course there is no evidence that the linen corselets were 1cm thick. This is only a hypothetical thickness that linen armor must be to offer enough protection (and likely even more) as 2mm thick bronze armor and repel all arrow assaults likely to have been seen on an ancient battlefield.
Scott B.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades - by rocktupac - 08-20-2010, 05:44 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Aigis and the Spolades PMBardunias 16 4,364 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr