Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades
Referee whistle blowing.......................... :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
in the prototype text - the Spartan was killed by an arrow. It does not say anything about penetration.
The arrow might got him in an exposed place.
If any one has the patience to go to the linothorax threads he will find lots of people who have found out first hand
(by putting it to the test)that you cannot penetrate 15 layers of linen with knives, swords, spearblades, and arrows!!!!

My opinion is that in absence of conclusive evidence all hypotheses are valid (till proven wrong)

Yes nice and shiny metal was the goal or the ideal to aspire to.
But...who can deny that that family who could not afford full metal armor would not go to the extra effort and expence to reinforce the linothrax of the father, son, or husvand who would risk life and doom..... I am not strong supporter of this but I do not find it improbable either....

We argue from our desks/keabords...How would we think if we hat to face a stand up fight?

Experience has showed that most individuals err towards maximum affordable protection.

Kind regards

Messages In This Thread
Re: Metal plate beneath Linothorakes or Spolades - by hoplite14gr - 08-21-2010, 12:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Aigis and the Spolades PMBardunias 16 4,363 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr